thread shredding

Lizbeth

I had the same issue the other day . I did the usual change needle check tensions add sewers aid nothing helped then I checked the thread path and a groove was forming on my two pig tails ...I turned them so the thread was not travelling in the same area and no more thread shreading... Now need to order new pigtails.

Terry
A number of years ago Linda Steller told us she was using ceramic lined eyes for a fishing rod as guides. I bought a couple and hot glued them to small washers. They have been on my machine for about a year now and work well and should never get a groove in them. The only drawback I've found is they are not as quick to thread.

Nigel

Terry

A number of years ago Linda Steller told us she was using ceramic lined eyes for a fishing rood as guides. I bought a couple and hot glued them to small washers. They have been on my machine for about a year now and work well and should never get a groove in them. The only drawback I've found is they are not as quick to thread.

Nigel

Do You Have a picture Nigel?  sounds interesting

[Did you buy your machine from a very tall bubbly lady?

Sure did. Are they living out your way? I believe he was RCMP. Does Dara sound right for the name?

Nigel

Yes they are in alberta and her name is Dara and her husband is an RCMP officer... she said somebody on the forum named Running Threads bought her machine. to funny, she belong to our guild here.

I got to looking at a friend's Gammill Classic Plus the other day, and found that the Gammill has several ceramic guides. (my Gammill doesn't have any ceramic guides)  Most notably the guide that sits over the thread cone.  If I develop a groove in Zelda's, I'll buy one from Gammill and fit it to her.  Gammill also uses stamped sheet metal thread guides near the front of the machine, which I think are less inclined to be damaged by thread.  I really never liked them that much, but I have replaced all Zelda's guides but the one nearest the needle, with that type.  I feel because they are large, they do a bit better job controlling thread whip. I replaced the guide nearest the needle on my Gammill with a pig tail type because they're easier to thread.  Mix and match!  Jim

Archived