Leader grip struggles

anita030261

I recently added the Leader Grips to my 2008 Millenium. Since then, I have had difficulty advancing the quilt even though I haven't changed anything about how I loaded my quilts/backing. It happens when I secure the quilt top or if I float the quilt. Has anyone else had this issue? Any ideas on what I can do to resolve the issue? Thanks!

I used to have leader grips but switched to red snappers.  Could you explain a little more or add a pic of the problem?  Is the leader grip getting caught every time you advance or just the first couple rolls?  Is the quilt top pulling out of the grip?  Is the leader grips bending where the pieces are put together?   Just some more questions for us to help figure out what's happening?  Oh forgot, what machine do you have and size of table (don't worry if you machine isn't APQS, we help everyone)? 

Thanks for the replies. Connie, it seems that the pulling is worse right at the beginning, but it continues throughout the process. My machine is a 2008 APQS Millenium on a 12 foot table. It FEELS like when I turn the pick up roller to advance the quilt that the quilt backing and top are rolled in the opposite direction, so that they are having a tug of war - there is that much resistance. That is not the case though. I even unrolled the entire backing planning to float the whole thing, and it still wouldn't advance. I think part of the problem was that I had not rolled the grips past the pick up bar before loading the quilt and batting. However, one would think that getting it past that point would relieve the issue, which it does not. If Heidi's suggestion above is the answer, I'll need some assistance in adjusting the spacing. I hope that helps explain it further, but let me know if you need more clarity. Anita

Anita,

Sure wish I could run over to your house and help you but I'm in Michigan.   I agree with Heidi, try raising the bar a few threads.  I only use my red snappers on the backing, I float all my tops.   I know it's hard not to get frustrated but once you get going, you'll love them.  Let us know if raising the bar helps.

Thanks for the input everyone! Just to clarify, are you suggesting that I raise the Pick Up bar or the bar for the Quilt Top? There is about 3 1/2 inches between the pick up bar and the leveler bar, but about 2 1/2 between the quilt top and the backing (belly) bars. It would seem that if this is the issue, it would be better to raise the quilt top bar. Any thoughts?

Also, if I delay in responding, it's only because I'm dealing with some minor chaos in my sewing room. We had a pipe burst over the weekend and I'm currently working around 4 fans and 1 dehumidifier - all industrial sized! Ack - send some good thoughts my way! :-)

Anita

so sorry about the water troubles! yikes!    no fun at all....

I would raise the levelling bar if it is catching on your machine somehow.  I know sometimes the leader gets caught/trapped stuck in between that bar and my machine sometimes if I don't completely advance the leader grips  (when I am shorter on backing)

Hello everyone!

I think that I have isolated the point of resistance.... The quilt seems to be quite tight against the leveler bar, which is causing resistance as the batting pulls across the quilt backing on the front. If I lift the quilt and batting - creating slack - then the quilt will advance onto the pickup bar. Still more difficult than it had been before the leader grips were installed, but it does advance.  With that info, it seems I should raise the leveler bar to resolve the issue. I just added the ruler base to my machine though and am wondering if that is going to cause issues if I raise the leveler....Appreciate any insight you might offer!

We got the basement dried - after three days with those very loud machines! :-)

Thanks,

Anita

• 1 year later...

Archived