Tomorrow is the BIG Day

As it turns out today was not the day either. I got the quilt together, then decided it needed a border. Now, ready! Squared the back. Now only 3" wider than quilt. Ugh!!!So many things were once second nature to me. I have forgotten so much!! Now I am piecing the back with leftover fabric. Then I load. Then I quilt. Can't believe I did this for a living and did a couple of quilts a day!!

Mary Beth

Dr. Yonas Geda found and published back in 2012 that quilting and sewing was great for your mind and helped slow the development of Alzheimer's and other brain impairments.  Building social networks was also helpful.  These two things alone should be reason enough for any lady to go out with full support of their husbands and buy themselves a fully decked out sewing machine or longarm.  Who cannot find friends or supporters after learning to quilt much less after buying a longarm?  That should be the new APQS sales pitch, "A brain is a terrible thing to waste...Save a mind, buy a Freedom."*  I'm fairly sure a man would hang the article on the refrigerator for their wife/significant other could not miss it if there was a scientific study that said having intercourse twice a day was great for their prostate health.

After being away for 7 years, you have to get your mind back in shape.  Just look at how much healthier your will be in a few weeks or months after you start remember how you used to do things, and it all becomes second nature to you again.  Just think of it like smoking.  Eight hours after stopping your oxygen levels are back to normal, 24 hours later your heart attack risk is lowered, 48 hours and your smell/taste improve, and the list goes on and on.  You just have to get your fix of quilting.  Your mind has atrophied over the years, and it will take time for it to heal.  I predict after 8 hours of quilting you will have forgotten some of your past grievances, after 24 hours you will have 20 new friends/supporters when they see pictures of your projects, and after 48 hours you will have given up using a grocery shopping list recalling everything you need at the store, and the list goes on and on.  

Have fun.

Cagey

*No medical research supporting this opinion or statement, but if it sells one extra machine a week it was worth making it.

You learned it once you will remember it again. From about 2007-2012 I didn't quilt. And when my daughter thought about making a heating pad with an Ohio star block. I started to say "ok, for a quarter square triangle you need to cut the square ah, ah, ah." I couldn't remember. I used to be able to rattle off different measurements with no problem when someone asked. I'm glad to say I can rattle those figures off again. So, relax, quilt and enjoy.

Deb.

Archived