How To Determine Design When Using Groovy Boards

As I've mentioned before I love using my groovy boards.  I have some in twisted rope, baptist fans and clam shell with flare and I want to get some spirals.  I love using them when doing an overall but I also love freehand like making feathers, ruler work like crosshatch.  I usually try something new with each quilt.

My problem is I'm not sure when a particular pattern will work with what type of quilt.  In other words, what quilt designs would look good with clam shell quilting or with a baptist fan.  With ruler work or free hand it's not near as hard to decide which to use.

Any suggestions as to how to determine what would look good and what not to use?

Thanks

David

I have found that I use the my Circle Loard Baptist Fan boards for those more traditional quilts that come my way...bearing in mind that I have to load the quilt with the TOP edge floating down to the floor - BOTTOM edge is pinned to the zippers - Baptist Fans have to hang in a particular manner, with the "fan" flaring upwards.  Make sense?  I use the Clamshells for Asian type quilt tops.  And I use the Swirlz for T-Shirt quilts and some of the manly-type quilts.    Just the way I roll ...  have a great quilting day!

I let the quilt speak to me. If you hang it and look at it while you are working on one quilt, it will tell you what it wants. Also, Baptist Fan, Clam Shells, Crosshatch, traditional quilts. Swirls, Crosshatch, more contemporary. I think more squarish quilts, like Turning 20, Disappearing 9 Patch, etc, call for curvy lines, so swirls, or pantos with curvy vines, or if you freehand, then that. 

I love my spirals boards, and especially like using that design on Yellow Brick Road quilts.  Favorite board on favorite pattern!  I make YBR a lot for baby quilt gifts.  I agree with Mary Beth in liking curvy quilting on squarish quilts.

Antiques get Baptist Fan or 1/4" inside seam lines.

There are 3 different piecing types: curves/circles, on point/diamonds, and angular/squares. Quilting design should be different from the piecing design. For example, an angular design (Take Five), quilt with diamonds or circles. Hope this helps!

• 4 months later...

I'm new to longarm quilting...just got my Milli in June. Where do I get groovy boards for my Milli and would anyone recommend a blog post or YouTube video that gives a good explanation of how to use them? Thanks! Donna

You can also type in "Groovy Boards" on youtube and it will pull up some great videos on how to use them.

David, before I got IQ, I used vinyl to audition designs.  I got a bracket to attach a pen, crayon, etc. on my machine (Circle Lord had them).  I laid the vinyl  on the quilt and drew out the design.  Love all the ideas and advice.

Archived