ISO Millennium Carriage

Hello!  I just recently had the good fortune to purchase a used Millie!  Whooohooo!!!  I believe it is a 2000 model, but have not confirmed that with APQS yet.  Anyway, it has the original long carriage and I would like to find a newer, smaller carriage for it.  I was wondering if there is anyone who has a smaller Millie carriage that you no longer need - perhaps due to an upgrade to Bliss?  If so, would you please message me?

Thank you!

Dawn

Janice - The carriage on my machine measures about 46" from front to back.  I am looking for one shorter than that.  Dave Jones delivered and set up the machine and he's the one who told me that the newer Millie's have a smaller, lighter carriage.  My thinking is that the smaller carriage would be lighter and therefore easier to maneuver.  I hope that clarifies what I'm looking for, if not, let me know.

Thanks!

Wow, 46".....that is long.  I have a 2010 Millie, her carriage is 38" x 6".  Is that the size you are looking for? (I have one of those).   I do know there are several different carriages out there.  Did Dave say which carriage he was talking about, besides the fact that is was small and lighter?   How wide is the one you have now?

Dawn

From what I can find on the Internet the channel in our carriages weighs about two pounds per foot so the shorter carriage might save you about two and a half pounds. The bigger advantage to the newer carriage is that it is anodized so the wheels will need less cleaning. I have the older carriage on my U1 and must clean all the wheels daily and Brenda's machine we clean the carriage wheels daily and the head wheels every month or so.

Nigel

• 5 weeks later...

dbustle:  I agree with Nigel about the little weight involved. Nothing to be gained there.  

Nigel:  You can have the aluminum on your carriage anodized if you like.  I had the tracks on my Ult 2 anodized to eliminate the corrosion.  Cost me about $50 and has worked great.   You'll have to take it apart.  Just look for a commercial plating company to do the job for you.  BTW, the carriage for my Ult 2 was already anodized, so I didn't need to have it done.  I think it came from the factory that way.  Jim

Nigel:  Remember, the rails for my Ult2 are just one inch aluminum angle.  The big channel used on the horizontal wheel machines might be more expensive.  I just called the plating shop, told them what I had to be anodized, and the manager quoted the price over the phone.  I took the rails in, and they were ready for me in a couple of days.  I decided to go with "clear" rather than a color because I would have had to wait for them to be running the color I wanted.  They apparently run "clear" often.  Jim

Susan

It depends on how old your frame is. My U1 neither the carriage or the rails are anodized. Our Mille the carriage is but the table not. The newer Bliss tables need nothing. There is nothing wrong with the older tables but if I could get rid of the oxidation for fifty dollars it would be worth it to me, I suspect I can't.

Nigel

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks for the info and suggestions on the carriage and wheels. 

Thanks to this forum I was able to locate a smaller anodized carriage that included a set of Edgerider wheels.  :)  I have found that lose about 2.5-3 inches of quilting space at the back of the machine with the smaller carriage, but will see if it really hinders me.  If so, maybe I will look into having the old carriage anodized and use it.  This is an ongoing learning process for me and I truly appreciate everyone's helpful information.

Archived