Quilt size

Hi Sheila,

I am just getting ready to order a Lenni, the apqs representative told me that you can quilt up to 100" on the 10ft frame and up to 120" on the 12ft frame. I am trying to decide which size to order. Hope that helps

Happy quilting

Dena G

I was told the same but was wondering if the 12 foot gave you any problems when you were getting to 119.5 inches. Depending on the drop you want on the quilt could take it right up to the 120 inches. I am glad that I got the 12 foot table even though I do not do king size quilts very often it is nice to know I can.

Your leaders are 120" but you can only load a 120" backer if the leaders line up. Sight from front to back to see if they are aligned. Off by a half-inch will result in that much loss of pinning length. My leaders were never perfectly aligned so the best length I could load was 118". Plus if the leaders are stretched, they may scroll in at the edges. I figure that with 118" of usable leader, less two inches at each side for clamping, the best I can do is 114" wide for the top. Room for a King as long as the narrowest measurement falls within that. 

DenaG, get at least a 12' table if you have room.

I have a 14' table and I have done a 120" sq. quilt but barely had enough room for the backing fabric (I had a CompuQuilter so did lose several inches on the sides). I wouldn't want to try to do a quilt this size on a 12' frame. Also, you have to remember that you will lose space on your throat area as you roll the top. Take that into account when you design the size of your quilting designs. The further you get toward the bottom of the quilt, the less space you will have. I always plan on losing a couple of inches on a very long quilt.

I have a 14' frame, the largest quilt I quilted on it was 143" square. I had to add fabric to my leaders to extend them to accommodate that size, also a lot of extra pinning. It was a PITA! especially changing bobbins. But I always say "If there is a will, than there is a way"!

Don't know how this would work on an APQS frame...but when I had my little midarm frame and machine, I actually taped the extra backing to the take up bar as my leaders where not wide enough...figured out how much room I needed to leave for me to clean my bobbin area and change bobbins. and offset the center of my leaders I think  it was by five inches as I figured I needed 10 inches on my side of the frame for my machine.  yep, it was a pain especially as I only had about 3-4 inches of space to quilt in as the quilt rolled up and I actually quilted it half way and then basted the rest and turned the quilt around...very interesting process, it worked but I sure do enjoy my 12 foot frame now and my 26 inch Lucey....so much easier!!!!!!!  Get the 12 foot frame if you have space....Lin

Archived