I think I'm ready to try some ruler work.  I've been breaking in my machine with learning pantos and am anxious to try some work from the front.

Anyone have some suggestions on what rulers would be good to start out on?  Looks like a lot of them out there so not sure which ones would

be good to start with.

Hi,  I am just starting to do a bit of ruler work and the advise I got was not to go overboard.  You probably will want a shorter straight ruler that you can stitch in the ditch with.  I found some really neat ones on Quilted Joy's website that has a bit of "sticky" on the bottom.  It helps hold the ruler against the quilt so it may help beginners when they are starting to do ruler work.  I am sure more will jump in with their favorites...Lin

A straight ruler is a must for me; and Lisa Calle's Pro Echo Rulers which are arcs and have a lot of markings. They make perfect continuous curves and of course arc shaped echos or curved cross hatching.

I mostly use my "itty bitty", and Deloa's appliquide but I don't put the hopping foot inside the hole, I use the side of it to guide my hopping foot.  There are tons of rulers out there and it is easy to go overboard but start out with a few smaller ones that are easy to control until you know what you like and will use.  I put the clear silicone dots on the bottoms of my rulers to keep them from sliding.

I use DeLoa Jones little one and castle the most for straight line ruler work.  Other rulers may work as well, but I already have these.  I also love DeLoa's curved crosshatch rulers.  The quilted pineapple came out with some similar to hers.  I love the two rulers that came with my machine.  They are thick and have a knob on the top to hold them, but unfortunately, they have no lines marked on them.  Jamie Wallen came out with a line of rulers that you hold in your hand.  He said they're good if you have arthritis etc.  Good luck with your choices.

• 2 months later...

If I were going to startling just one, knowing what I know now, I would purchase Jamie Wallens Mystical 45 first. The medium one will crosshatch up to a 12" block without moving the ruler. He has smaller and larger ones but I decided the medium was big enough without being too big. I use it for stitching in the ditch or 1/4"!from the ditch as well as crosshatching. I have several their straight edge rulers but this one is the one I use the most. I like the markings and the handle to help me hold it. It allowed me to do the crosshatching for this quilt and keep it fairly straight and consistent for a recent beginner in the longarm. post-65470-0-76060200-1468129793_thumb.jpeg

I too recommend just starting with a couple of basics -  A small straight ruler -  Jamie Wallen's was a favourite  I really like his handle on the rulers.-  and a very small straight ruler - Linda Hrcka of the Quilted Pineapple makes one and it is my go to now for little quilting and ditch work.  She also makes a little curve one which is super as well.    I bought both her sets now that I am doing a lot of ruler work.    

But yes... don't go over board.  Just get a straight one or two and an arc for some of your curves....

Archived