t-shirt with "plastic" designs

A customer brought me a t-shirt quilt today which has some shirts with that plastic stuff as part of the design. I know some people won't even accept a t-shirt quilt like that, but I would like to quilt it for her. How would be the best way to tackle it with the least amount of impact on my beloved Miss Margie? And can I use a panto or should I quilt from the front?

I have done t-shirt quilts before with the plastic parts. I try to quilt the plastic parts lightly so I do freehand from the front. My Millennium handles it just fine. The needle does make a different sound when it goes through the plastic but it doesn't bother the tension.

Good luck!

I did one last week for a customer and had a lot of problems with that one slick-finished t-shirt. Millie kept skipping stitches- I removed the stitching, but the needle left big holes. I ended up tracing the pattern forward (Quilt Path) and picked up the stitching where the pattern left the slick part of the t-shirt. Once the whole thing was finished, I went back and retraced the open holes with quilting using my home machine. It was a lot of work and caused me a lot of worry, but in the end, you couldn't see that there was ever a problem!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the input, everyone. I quilted it from the front with a standard swirl - not too dense. I made sure my needle was new (changed it a couple of times), bobbins were full, and just slowed down in the plastic sections. No problems at all. Miss Margie (Lenni), didn't complain at all, and just marched confidently along! The customer was very happy!

Archived