APQS Video Tutorials

I love the tutorials on the APQS website, but wish they would be available on a DVD or wish we could download them to a DVD ourselves...............unless you have a computer near the long arm (which I don't), it is difficult to watch these on the computer and then try to remember the method when I get to the long arm..............Any suggestions?

Linda:

Please tell me what computer platform you use (PC vs Mac), and if you have a smart phone that can show video.  With that, I will set you up.  It is easy to download and save YouTube videos for permanent storage and reference.

Cagey

I dug out my OLD laptop............wasn't sure if it still worked worth a hoot, but I got it to work well enough to play videos............not good for much else, so now it is a DVD player............haha   I had forgotten about that thing until Lisa mentioned a tablet.    I can't stream You Tube on my phone, as it uses too much ?????   We are out in the country and have limited usage.     :( The Smartphones really eat it up.    

YouTube makes money off of ads, so they change things frequently to prevent downloads.  Also, if you download and save a video file from their site, it should only be used for person use.  That being said, this link does work.

https://www.vdyoutube.com/

When using, copy the link for the you tube video you want.  For example, this is the APQS new seafoam filler 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fa_3ztgKklw.  That link is what you insert into the VDYOUTUBE.com site, and click go.  That brings up a window showing the video.  Below that you have a number of save options.  You need to save in .mp4 for use on iPads for those of you that do not want to have to install any other video player on your iPad. VLC would allow you to play any video type on your iPad, but that is a longer explanation.  Just save it in .mp4 format, and you should be up and running in no time.  The larger the number, the larger the file to be saved and the better picture you will see.  It takes awhile for the program to save the file.  Again the larger the file, the longer it takes to render and save the file.  You can then change the file name, we will say Sea Foam filler.mp4.  You save that under a file APQS educational videos on you computer, and you can play the video whenever you wish while offline.  I expect the vdyoutube.com link will change over time; cutting into ad revenue, so just search for how to save YouTube videos, to my computer or iPad.  Then follow the instructions looking for helper sites.  Here is a link, so you can see I am not trying to set you up with viruses or spam, the link is from PC magazine 17 June 2016;  http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2476563,00.asp  It took me to the VD link.

I hope this helps you save those instructional videos.  If you save a lot of them, you may need or want an external hard drive.  

Cagey

Here is the fast link for those of you that do not want to save the video; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fa_3ztgKklw

Linda:

Doing a quick internet check, I can find no reports of users getting viruses from vdyoutube.com.

I do not believe you got a virus from any of the links I provided.  Your virus/security program may have flagged the file that the VD wanted to save to your computer.  Depending on how you virus program is configured that is rather normal.  Mine does it, and asks if I want to open or save the file.  It is not a real virus, it is just warning me the something is being installed onto my computer.  You were saving a file to your computer, and you were being warned that this could cause problems.  If you were downloading the video from a link in an email, I might suspect a virus, but not from YouTube.  When you watch the video, something is being uploaded to your computer as you watch the grey bar fill up along the bottom.

I downloaded the APQS training video exactly as I described above in both Safari and Firefox.  My virus program did not register a virus in either one.  I feel certain that YouTube scans each and every video uploaded to their site.  I also feel that PC magazine would not direct users to a virus carrying internet site.

Do you think this may have been the issue verses and actual virus being uploaded to your computer?  If not what virus did your security software say your computer was infected with?   

Cagey 

It was "Mac Uploader" or something like that.............when I went to download the YouTube video from APQS, I got the message that I needed to install a "media uploader" (?)..........as soon as I did that, BAM...........I couldn't get rid of it.........did a virus scan and it quarantined that file and I finally got it all uninstalled.............not sure what happened............I'm not that tech savvy and leery of downloading things I'm not sure about..........I won't be trying again.............Thanks anyway............ :)

Linda:

I am on a Mac, and am not sure of the media uploader app you referenced.  All I can say is that you should set up your Mac so that it requires a master password to install any new apps.  This should prevent any app from installing another app that you do not want.  Even then, sometimes you do an internet search and get to a link that you have difficulty closing or to quit.

Maybe have your children or if you have them grandchildren get on your computer with you, and with them download the videos you want to save.  The younger they are the more tech savvy they seem to be these days.  Best of luck to you.

Cagey

You got that right.............I'll wait until our 7 year old grandson comes..........haha     Many times, I've searched on the internet or looked up information............checked the box "I do not want emails" and promptly get 10 a day...........I send them to junk.  NO MORE PASSWORDS.........too much to remember..........taxes my brain..........Must save all my wits for quilting !    haha   

Archived