Easier Machine Movement

trudie

I purchased a used Millie and we broke two wheels when we moved it.   We replaced all the wheels with the M&M wheels and I was having some issues.   I had it serviced and he leveled the machine carriage and it does move better (he told me I needed to get used to the weight of this machine, it takes muscles to move it) - but - I assumed from watching all the FMQ videos that I would be able to do pebbling.   Not so, I cannot move the machine easily enough to make any circular motion smaller than a nickel, and that is extremely hard.   Any ideas what I can do to make it move easier?   BTW, I am using the stitch regulator.   Thanks for any ideas.

Wax the rails.  If it didn't come with micro-drive handles, you need to add those.  You'll get better control with your hands closer to the needle, using the micro-drive handles.  If it has Glide, turn that on.  It's a little black knob on the front panel of the machine head.  Just turn it to the right to turn it on.  It works with the stitch regulator on, but the needle will not stop when the machine stops, so you have to get used to that.

When you can, upgrade to Bliss.  Bliss makes moving Millie soooooo much easier.

Well, waxing the rails made a big difference, Thank you Annie!  I took some before and after pictures and the size of stippling I usually do on baby quilts but was not able to on this machine.   I am happier tho and with practice and maybe the micro drive handles, I can do what I hope to do.   I've not found anything on the Bliss so will keep searching.   Here is the beginning stippling larger than I normally do.   Oops cannot upload the pics.   Operator error I'm sure!   thanks again

Trudie

Bliss is a table upgrade and depending on how old your table is it runs from about one to three thousand dollars. One more thing to try when doing small pebbles increase your stitches per inch or even turn the stitch regulator off. Almost everyone has trouble with square circles in the beginning and blame the machine but it is usually solved with more practice.

Keep at it

Nigel

Trudie:  I don't think you have the wheels properly adjusted.  The machine should move very easily.  One problem with the horizontal wheels is that they are very sensitive to adjustment, so you might have to adjust them from time to time.  It is also possible that the quilt "sandwich" is dragging on the machine bed.  Check and make sure that there is adequate clearance between the machine and the leveling roller.  Good luck.  Jim 

Dbustle, I used a plain, unsented candle.   I have bees wax somewhere but couldn't find it yesterday.

Jimerickson, I just had the Lewisville dealer out to adjust them.  He found the machine carriage was not level but everything else was fine.  It does move easier now than before just not as easy as my homesteader.  I have wondered about increasing the stitches per inch and/or turning off the stitch regulator.    That is a good suggestion but I need to load a practice piece to see how it moves before I try it on another quilt.    You guys are awesome!   thanks for all the responses

Trudie:  I really do encourage you to take a hard look at the wheel adjustment.  With nothing on the table, move the machine first horizontally, then vertically and take careful note of the effort it takes to move it either way.  It should take about the same amount of effort to move either way.  If there is a discernible  difference, carefully check the wheel alignment. for that axis.  I think the track should be centered in the wheel grove (I don't have a horizontal wheeled machine, so I'm not sure).  If it isn't, it should be adjusted so that it does.  All four wheels for each axis should line up the same.  Continue moving, looking, feeling and adjusting until everything checks out.  I can't believe your Homesteader would move smoother and easier than your Millie.  Good luck.  Jim 

Cagey, thanks to the link to Jamie's vide. While watching I remembered I ordered some of the Renaissance lube so went out and cleaned and lubed the rails. I did find some tape on the back rail that I hadn't seen before. Got it removed and lubed and that helped. I am better able to do feathers but there is still a catch in the movement going left and towards the front.

Jimerickson, I am not able to see any difference in how the wheels line up. My homesteader I can easily move with one finger. The Millie, not. I really wanted to do ruler work and that is not possible on the homesteader which prompted me to buy the Millie. I do really appreciate the features on the Millie - I just need it easier to move. The tech that worked on it thought it moved really smooth but he doesn't do any free motion work. I'm sure for the CQ it moves great. I will continue practicing!

Trudie, was the tech who services your machine an APQS tech, or just someone who works on longarms?  If he is not an APQS tech, his impression of good movement may not be to APQS standards.

I have to agree with Jim that if you don't think your machine moves easily enough with one hand to do ruler work, there is something wrong, probably with your wheels.  One of the reasons I chose APQS is that the machines are so easy to move.  I tried a Gammill at a show and couldn't believe how heavy it felt and how much effort it took to move it.  Also, check your wheels that rode on the area where you found tape, as some of that tape may be caught in those wheels.

You can call or e-mail customer service, too.  They are great!!

Betsy, it was a certified APQS tech. I can move the machine easier now for ruler work and I'm trying feathers now. There is still resistance on the movement to the right and forward to the front. I cleaned off that tape I found but didn't think to check the wheels to see if any remaind there. I will do that tomorrow. Thanks for that suggestion!

Archived