I have a new demo Millie and am using the BottomLine prewound Superbobs. I have noticed with my TOWA gauge some of them have a higher tension reading than others. Do you adjust your bobbin tension to work with it or consider these "bad?" I run mine between 170-200 which is what Superior suggests on their handy chart. Just curious what others do :). Thanks in advance!

Kim

I have been using the SuperBobs pre wound bobbins for a long time. I used to be able to count on them all to be the same. Lately I have to check every bobbin as they have been different. I adjust my bobbin case with almost every bobbin. I think the issue is with the cardboard sides - some seem to be ever so slightly larger which throws the tension off.

Kim:

I say they are "bad", though I will send you a self address stamped box to throw them in when it the trash box is full just drop it in the mail and I will dispose of those pesky buggers for you.  

Though really, is the tension that much higher or lower for the bad ones on your TOWA gauge? 

Also, are you making sure to pull off about a foot or so of thread when you load the bobbin?  Then do the same thing when you bring the thread to the top?  

I ask this, as I was working on a quilt that required a number of thread changes the other day.  I noticed at times, the thread would pull off easily when I loaded the bobbin.  Then when when I brought it to the top, it pulled off a little harder.  All I did was remove the bobbin and reload it.  I pulled off just 4 or 5 inches with normal tension, and then brought the thread to the top.  As long as it felt the same, I quilted with it.  I could not find a reason why the tension changed from being pulled to the top.  I can only say that I did not try to quilt when I felt a little more pull than normal.  This happened on both pre-wound and self-wound bobbins.  I am on a George, and can feel the difference in how hard it is to move the quilt sandwich when the bottom thread does not want to come off the bobbin nice and easy.  

Cagey

Archived