'Holes' in fabric from needle

hbuchwitz

How often do you replace needles? Is that why my fabric looks like it has holes punched in it. Or is that because it's a batik? Or too tight on the frame? Tension off in my thread? It looks ok. Maybe a bit tight on the bobbin.

I have pics of top and bottom of quilting. I also tightened top tension before starting this row but I'm attaching a pic of the last row on the roller bar. I think the top was too loose righty?

post-97189-0-16720400-1469559544_thumb.jpeg

post-97189-0-16126100-1469559586_thumb.jpegpost-97189-0-93416600-1469559671_thumb.jpeg

I replace needles at the start of a customer's quilt unless the previous quilt was small. I have a theory that needles only have so much flex in them before they break (like bending a paper clip), I could be way off. Needles are cheap so I change them often and I don't recall the last time I broke one. The holes you are seeing are because of the Batik and a smaller needle will help depending on the thread choice but really not much you can do about it. I think they will relax over time and washing. I really didn't see anything wrong with the tension.

Nigel

Thanks!!!! I'm still getting used to my lucey. I'm pretty good quilting not on my dm and decided to go into business with a lucey. Offering free time (pay for materials) to my mom and a few friends until October to build up a picture database and practice. My mom is the batik lover not me. I've never used one.

If you look closely the first two pics look good and the third one has a looser type weave to it.  It's the fabric.  I use batik a lot on the front and backs of my quilts.  I have one such quilt on the longarm right now.  The holes have never bothered me.  If they bother you very much you can put the quilt in the dryer and run if for a short time and it helps or some of the tips listed above.  Don't over analyze it, the stitching looks good.  Go enjoy your quilting.

• 1 month later...

When I have had to take stitches out of my quilt on the frame (you don't really want to do this) I spray with liquid starch, and rub lightly. It covers the holes great. Also there is right way to put your batting on the frame always place the bumpy side up. Quilting always goes smoother that way.

• 1 month later...

Archived