So Many Questions

After 2 years of research I've finally pulled the trigger. Ordered a Lucey with a 10 ft Blissed table. I was torn between her and Lenni....reason...price! Cause I'm new I figured I wouldn't know what I was missing if I went smaller but after "one" more test drive I felt the longer arm had more visibility and has the same motor as Millie. I learned after I bought my Bernina 780 I really didn't need all the bells & whistles cause I rarely use any of them.. So that is why I stayed clear of Millie & Freddie (along with the $$). On Wednesday they will call to finalize my order. BUT (there's always a but) I still wonder if I'm making the right decision as the one I ordered is used....2015 with a 3 yr warranty at about the same price as a Lenni on a Blissed table. Looking to hear from someone that bought used & their experience. Next question bobbin size. I'm leaning toward "M"..thoughts? Where do u buy the rolls of batting and what brand? What are your thoughts on the leaders vs zippers. Buying prewound bobbins vs winding your own? Best place to buy thread? Bobbins? Tension problems...I've read some horror stories on the forum about that & the people discussing it say they are veterans. So scary for a newbie so I would really appreciate all of the advise and opinions I can get. Thanks for taking your time away from quilting to help out a nervous newbie!!!

I bought a used Lucey about 3-4 years ago...she works just fine.  Of course there is a learning curve...Adjusting tensions was a new one for me...but now I am starting to experiement with different thread combinations in the top and bottom...just takes practice and some head scratching and willingness to problem solve.  I am more comfortable with adjusting the top thread tensiona and thread path...I have been winding most of my own bobbins and it is working out OK ....I do have some prewounds to try but summer keeps getting in the way.  I have used more supeior threads...OMNI and So Fine...but I also have someothers like bottom line and filtec Glide threads that I am wanting to try.  Local shops do not carry a lot of threads so I have been getting mine mainly online....same with batting...so I found a shop about a 150 miles away that does drop shipments up here because of the number of quilters and only charges 10 for delivery. I am lucky I think about that.  So far I have gotten two rolls of Hobbs 80/20 and one of Hobbs poly-down..(which keeps growing on the roll after I took the plastic off)  Good thing it is in the attic...I am planning on getting some wool too but need to use up one of the rolls of 80/20 first.  I have red leaders...but am still just pinning my backing to the leaders...haven't gotten "round" to making the channels for the red leaders yet.  I would suggest just starting out with a small amount of thread and playing around with it.  then add more.  I started out with OMNI and SoFine in rather drab colors as I figured they would blend in more with most of my quilts and they have....I have an L bobbin...I am OK with it...but gosh...a lot of the time I don't even make one pass before having to change the bobbin....I also have thought about the M bobbin...it was new when I got Lucey and some folks were thinking you had less tension problems with the L bobbin....but I don't know if that is the case.  I find myself sometimes thinking about a Millie....but then I remind myself of the price difference and I only quilt for myself and I don't need a computer .....I also got a "second from the bottom of the line" RAV4 which gets me from point A to point B just fine even in the snow....and saved me 1.5 years of additional payments....so there you are...more fabric!  Have fun...plan for a learning curve and some frustration but it does get better and I love the space I have with Lucey...I also have bliss.  Lin

I bought my Millie as a demo model. I wouldn't worry much about the warranty. These machines are built to last and if you are buying from APQS they check over the used machines throughly. I wouldn't go with the smaller throat space of the Lenny if you have room for the Lucey. When you quilt a larger quilt you loose some space as the quilt rolls up. Do you have room for a 12 foot table? The leaders are several inches shorter than the length of the table. I went with the M bobbin and while I had some tension issues at first it had nothing to do with the bobbin size........it was operator error......LOL........once I worked through the adjustment period I find the tensions to be consistent throughout the bobbin so I'm glad I went with the M bobbin. I wind mine own bobbins with the Turbo winder that came with the Millie. I think the Lucey and Lenny come with the smaller bobbin winder. It might be worth checking to see the cost of upgrading the bobbin winder to the one that comes with the Millie and Freddie. I started out using cotton thread but have now gone to using Glide from FilTec almost exclusively. No lint in the bobbin area to clean out at each bobbin change and, for me, it is easier to get the tension where I want it with the Glide.

Put any doubts aside.  I bought a "demo" Millie in early 2009 - a 2008 model.  I've had ZERO issues in all of these years.  I was new to quilting on a long arm, but had practiced on several models of machines.   You can't go wrong with any of the APQS models - just depends on what you feel you want as far as size and features.  And the support from APQS is No. 1.  You couldn't ask for a better company that stands behind their products.

This year I finally took her to Carroll for a "spa" - complete maintenance by Amy and team.  I also upgraded my 10' table to a 12' Bliss.  I wouldn't trade her for anything - well . . . if I won a brand new one . . . or the lottery . . . Ha!  

I was in your shoes just a few months ago.  I would have loved the Millie but knew my budget would not allow it.  This is my first entry into longarming and I was very nervous   I purchased a Lucey 10' blissed table and have had it about three months.  Yes, I think you will be glad in the end that you went with the larger throat space.  I posted a similar post to your's and that was the advice I received.  

I went with the L bobbin because it was the recommendation I received from my dealer.  However, now I am doing a lot of pantos and wish I had the M.  I really do not know much about the difference.  There have been discussion about tension being better on the L but from what I am seeing on the forum that is not really an issue.  I think those with M bobbins have been very happy.  I wish I had done more research on that.

I have been experimenting with batting.  I am liking the 80/20 blends because I think they show the quilting better.  I would not buy a large roll of anything yet.  Get your machine and start experimenting with different ones first.  Some batting tends to pull apart more when you are loading it and smoothing it on the frame.

I purchased the Quick Zip zippers.  I am using my machine for personal use right now and also have friends that come over to play.  I wanted to be able to take my quilt off when they come and then easily put it back on. I would love to try the red snappers or similar products at a show.

I love the Glide magnetic bobbins, but I don't mind winding my own.  I have not even tried the bobbin winder that came with Lucey.  My Bernina 440 winds a fantastic bobbin for Lucey.  I purchased an extra bobbin case so that I have one for the magnetic bobbins (take the spring out) and one for my other bobbins I wind (leave the spring in).  I purchase thread when I am at an APQS store (several hours away) and online from several sites.  I am in the process of getting my tax exempt license and then you can purchase from Fil-Tec.

I have had ZERO tension problems with my machine.  The stitches have been fantastic.  I have had a few minor issues with the machine but the APQS service team has been wonderful.  They are very responsive and helpful. 

My best advice would be to take it one step at a time.  I tried to rush into everything at once and it can become overwhelming.  For example, practice loading, try a few methods and then start thinking about zippers or red snappers.  Try the various thread samples they send and see what you like.  There are many Youtube videos that are great for getting up and going.  Angela Huffman at Quilted Joy also has a wonderful DVD set.  

There were a few moments in the first few weeks when I thought "What have I done?"  However, now I feel so much more comfortable with the machine, with the processes and it is really fun.  I know I will not be a pro anytime soon.  I am just enjoying the process and can see I get a little better each week.

My best advice would be to take it one step at a time.

Best advice so far. Master one thread combination and then change either the top or bottom thread and write down or remember what tension changes you had to make for the new thread to look good. By changing only one thing at a time you can always get back to your starting point.

Nigel

I bought a 2008 used Millie a couple of years ago from a friend in my area. I was a little worried about warranty, but the machine is amazing and APQS has great customer service. Probably the best. I like having an L bobbin. I feel like I would have more tension troubles with an M since I always wind my own bobbins and the bobbin tension seems to get tighter as the bobbin unwinds. I buy rolls of batting directly from Dream. They usually ship them out quickly. Superior threads seem to run the best in my machine, but I also like Glide and occasionally Signature. And zippered leaders are the bomb! Love them. Good luck with your machine. The only thing I wish I had on mine was Bliss. 6 hours of custom quilting make the old hand ache after a while lol

I would buy a 12 foot table because you won't be able to do large quilts.

I use mostly Superior because I have the L bobbin.  Bottom Line goes a long way with pantographs.  Wish I had the M.  There can't be many tension issues because all the other machines have an M bobbin.  

I like Hobbs 80/20.  It's 96 inches which means you get 98.  Perfect for most size quilts.  Quilters dream is nice but it's 92/94.  I don't like 90 inch because it doesn't fit my large quilts.

You always hear horror stories, but when all is said and done, they're probably operator errors.  I've made many of them myself.  I sometimes wonder how I can be so dense.  Relax and enjoy your machine. You'll come to love it like the rest of us.

And, if you have any problems, call Amy or Dawn.  They always find a solution.

I have some experience that might help you.  I have both a 26" machine (Gammill Classic) and a 20" machine (APQS Ult 2).  My Ult 2 originally came with an L bobbin, which I converted to M.  I use both machines all the time (they're in 2 different locations and that's why I have 2).  The Ult 2 is on a 12' table, while the Gammill is on a 14' table.  Both have Intellistitch Turbo CL stitch regulators.  I wind all my own bobbins, with industrial bobbin winders.

1) Bobbin size.  Since I went to the trouble of converting my Ult 2 L bobbin to M, you can tell I prefer the M.  I have probably the unique experience of working with both the L and M bobbin systems on the same machine.  Let me assure they performed the same.  No difference with tension or stitch quality.  The only difference is that the M goes twice as far as the L.  Get the M!

2 Throat size.  While the 26" gives you a bit more space, I don't find that to be too big a deal.  I like things about each, and use them almost interchangabily.  I use the 20" machine most for detailed custom work, and the 26" machine more for edge to edge.  The 20" wins for custom mostly because of the tools I have for it, but also a bit for the more compact size.  The 26" machine wins out for big block custom work, and rapid completion.  BTW, the Gammill has a 20.5" quilting field, which I think is significantly larger than the 26" APQS machines.  But then my Ult 2 has a 14.5" field which I think is larger than the Lenni.  No clear winner here.

3) Pre-wound bobbins vs self wound.  I've never used pre-wounds, so my experience here is limited.  I haven't felt a need, and stocking multiple colored thread bobbins seems inconvenient.  If you wind your own, make sure you have a good winder.  

4) Thread.  To start out, use the most reliable combo you can find, and don't try using others until you feel you've master the machine and tension adjustment.  The comb I recommend is YLI Longarm Professional (not machine quilting), and Superior's Bottom Line in the bobbin.  I like them because they produce little lint.  Longarm Pro is very strong, and Bottom Line lets you wind a lot of thread on the bobbin.

5) Table size.  Bigger is better.  While I have mixed opinions about the throat size, I don't about table size.  If it is at all possible for you to fit a table size bigger than the 10' you refer to, do it.  Trying to quilt big quilts on a small table IS inconvenient.

6) Batting.  If you do any amount of quilting try to buy your batting on the roll.  I hate bagged batting.  It's full or wrinkles.  It's no fun to use.  The cost off the roll is also lower, so in the long run it will save you money.

I hope this has been timely enough to help you with your decision.  Good luck.  Jim 

Archived