Thread Tension Signature Cotton

Hi everyone,

I have had my Millie for about three weeks now, and we are getting along quite well. Today I tried using cotton thread for the first time, and I have thoroughly confused myself trying to figure out the correct thread tension. I just watched Dawn's video about needle flex etc., and I came to the conclusion that the fact I can always see the bobbin thread poking through threw me off. But even if I ignore that, I am not really sure how to proceed and would appreciate a few pointers.

I found another thread where Dawn recommended to set the top tension really loose and go from there. How loose is really loose? Yes, I know that's hard to describe... but Millie's top tension knob is quite different from a domestic machine, so I am not sure how much to adjust. Thank you!

Beatrice

Real loose would be when there is a little play between the cone shaped spring and the knob. Tighten about half a turn at a time until you get the tension you want and then you can tweak it a bit. Usually takes about half a turn before you see much change, very different than your domestic machine.

Nigel

Thank you, Nigel!

I played around with it some more yesterday, and I think my tension is quite reasonable now... at least I will stop obsessing, I hope :D The thread is not breaking and it's not looping either, so I hope it will be okay.

Archived