Thread fraying/breaking

hbuchwitz

The broken needle may have damaged something enough to shred your cardboard bobbin.  At only 1 month old, your pigtails and tension spring should not have rough spots worn into them yet.  What kind of thread(s) are you using?

Sorry not to have better suggestions for you.  Hopefully, more experienced users will be able to offer you some help.

Nothing fancy - basic needle - same as came with it; SoFine50 thread & SuperBob bobbin.

I've been reading - going to do the hook maintenance from the manual & hopefully I can find a burr.... wish I had gotten out the manual instead of looking at the needle & trying to copy it that first time bc I obviously flipped it and messed it up. :(  The manual's exact words - if you break a needle, there will be a burr somewhere.

Once you have verified that the needle is in correctly, check the thread path. In one photo it looks like the thread may be behind the screw that holds the pigtail. It is possible to break a needle and not experience thread breaks due to a burr. There certainly may be a burr causing this but look at the simple solutions first. Unthread and rethread using the machines manual as a guide. Its easy to overlook a simple misguided thread path.

post-97189-0-15260700-1471792348_thumb.jpeg

The thread path - did I miss something here?

post-97189-0-10851700-1471792379_thumb.jpeg. I can't find a burr but I noticed that at some rotations the needle is puncturing the cardboard of the superbob. It does not do this to metal bobbins. I'm switching to a metal. Is it possible the bobbin pigtails caused this or a bad pre wound?

post-97189-0-17440100-1471792515_thumb.jpeg

Thanks! Eventually I will remember to flip my phone for photos. Wish I could flip back to how they were taken.

I sewed a bit with a bobbin I wound. Took longer but it still frayed. I rethreaded through the tension discs and still. I'm going to switch bobbin cases and try again tonight - leaving the house for the afternoon so I'm done for a while today.

I could hear the metal bobbin 'clunking' as I sewed. I have mostly used prewound though - so is that normal? Also the little arm thing that goes up and down on the top right (sorry no time to look up the name) stops partway up when I hit needle up. Maybe that's right but I feel like that used to be all the way at the top...? Ugh. I had zero problems until

I changed needles and now it just isn't quite right.

Archived