If you've been thinking about a mid-arm, sit-down quilting machine, nobody does it better than George!

My 2008 George is just dreamy. This George is absolutely in mint condition, gently used, very well maintained, runs like a charm, and purrs like a kitten. My George also comes with loads of extra supplies and add-ons (including an LED light bar and dual spool holder), and that big "butterfly" table (see photo) to accommodate your very large quilting projects (when not in use, the table folds down so you can store it out of the way while you stitch your next quilt top). I'm serious when I say that this machine is better than new.

George's size can be accommodated in just about any sewing room, and this machine has been a perfect companion in my smaller sewing space. Together we've produced several award-winning quilts. I'm asking $4,800 for this very well-trained "guy."

Why am I selling? We are planning a move to another state soon and, with what I expect will be a much larger studio space, I'm planning to step up and finally get a long-arm machine on a frame.

If you'd like to meet George in my Austin, Texas studio, please reply to this message. (Note, this is my first post on the message board, so I have no idea how this works!).

post-97583-0-67788800-1474299986_thumb.png

Nora:

Every George comes with the most comprehensive and technological advanced speed controller/stitch regulator ever devised......the human brain.

That is to say, as your mind controls how fast your hands move, another part of your mind controls the foot pressure on the speed control increasing or decreasing the speed that George stitches in relation to your hand movements.  No man made stitch regulator can compare to the one you were born with.  Compare it to driving a car.  On the straight highway, you floor the gas pedal and only make small steering wheel inputs.  You racing down the road with no cares in the world.  Heck, you probably eat or freshen up your makeup while your traveling at 80 mile per hour.  As you come to the winding mountain S-turn with a hundred foot drop off on one side, self preservation takes over.  You put down the eyeliner brush, take your foot off the gas pedal, touch the brake, slow down, and make large cautious steering inputs.  All the while your stay in between the lines of the road.  As you grew more comfortable with driving, you started to take that same S-turn faster and faster, until you whip through there like you were on the open road.    

If you are trying to compare a George verses a Handiquilter/copy-cat machine, I believe the George wins hands down.  You do not need the stitch regulator that comes with them, as you already have the best stitch regulator made.  It only takes a little perseverance and practice to tweak your "controller" to get the best performance out of George.  Try doing small pebbles with a man made stitch regulator, and they will come out looking awful.  Turn the regulator off, let your mind take over, and they turn out nice and round, looking like pebbles.  

If you can quilt on your DSM, you can quilt on a George or any other sit-down quilting machine.  George just gives you 20-inches of throat space so you are not stuffing all of your quilt top into 9 inches or less of throat space on a normal DSM.  Give Kati an call, and test drive her George.  Just be sure to drive a pickup truck or a van with the extra seats pulled out to Kati's place, as you are not going to want to leave behind that wonderful George or that beautiful deluxe table behind.  

Best of luck shopping.

Cagey 

Hi, Nora. What they said above! Wow!

So, no... A George does not have a "stitch regulator"; but that hasn't stopped me from quilting even stitches that judges (and you) look for. I have a "sweet spot" quilting speed. I adjust my speed control to that sweet-spot speed (the longer I've been quilting, the faster I go). Then, I'm "pedal to the metal" on my foot control-- so I don't even think about speeding up or slowing down and adjusting my hand-movement speed, unless I want to. And I practice a lot with muslin and leftover fabric quilt "sandwiches" and my leftover batting pieces.

Quilting on George is a lot like quilting on your domestic machine, except (like the person above said) you've got all that extra throat space. So moving the quilt around under the needle is a breeze!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived