Vibration when quilting

Gigi59

I have a one year old lenni that vibrates when running, I always thought it was because it needed broke in, but not getting better. The vibration is worse when in stitch regulated mode, so bad that I can't use a panto as the vibration makes it hard to follow. I've cleaned rails, kept oiled, the table is level. It's on a 10 foot bliss table. Any suggestions on how to get the machine not to vibrate would be greatly appreciated, as getting frustrated.... Thanks so much,

Gail

I have a one year old lenni that vibrates when running, I always thought it was because it needed broke in, but not getting better. The vibration is worse when in stitch regulated mode, so bad that I can't use a panto as the vibration makes it hard to follow. I've cleaned rails, kept oiled, the table is level. It's on a 10 foot bliss table. Any suggestions on how to get the machine not to vibrate would be greatly appreciated, as getting frustrated.... Thanks so much,post-67444-0-58743900-1474996715_thumb.jpeg

I get more black 'crud' built on on the front wheel on this one side, keep cleaning it with a soft cloth. Not much build up on the other side at all. Don't know if that is an indication of something out of whack.

Gail

Hi there - 

I just cut this from another post I wrote a little bit ago... maybe it'll help you.

My new Lenni arrived a few weeks ago and I'm just now getting to be able to practice (mostly) daily for an hour or so.  I noticed the other day after several hours of practice, that there was a harmonic vibrating sound coming from the top of the back of the machine - the 'hood' is loose around the top part of the machine in the back - screwed on.  After searching the forums I found it was not unique and after reading some of the 'fixes' people had - I used a few small felt pad circles (the kind that go on the bottom of chair legs to slide/protect) tucked in at the edges and VOILA - no more sound/vibration!

My metal cover on the top/ back vibrated very loudly and shook the machine.  I called APQS and they sent me several pads to place on the metal.  It worked great.  They were basically just the rubber/foam pads you see at the store for chairs or furniture (long rectangular size).  I did need to do a little stretching here and there on the metal so it was no longer rattling.  It took a few minutes to fine tune the fit but now it is great.  A huge change in the noise and vibration levels.  

I also have a bit more black build up on the right side of the carriage (when looking from the front side).  It appears these wheels may be rubbing more??  Would love to hear anyone's advice or comments regarding this.

• 3 years later...

I have had my Lenni for 3 years. It seems the vibration is getting worse. There is also a clacking noise in the bobbin case. I do not see or feel a vibration in the metal top cover like those stated above. The whole bliss table vibrates sometimes to the point that the panto moves out of place. I have to hold my left hand pushing down on the gray boards to keep it from vibrating so much that I can't follow the panto. I have had it serviced and was told it was running very smoothly when leaving the shop. I get it home and it's still vibrating. I am almost ready to sell it and quit quilting. The stress is not worth it. Last year I quilted 65 quilts - 50 were for my church charity quilting group. If I quit, they would be very sad.

Rose:  There is a particular place in the front/back travel of the machine that vibrates a lot (harmonic I guess).  If you can, try to adjust your pattern so that as little of this position is in the sewing field. (move the quilt sandwich forward or backward to minimumize that area)   Also check the adjustment of your wheels.  Loose wheels will cause the machine to shake.

As Laura suggests, make sure everything is properly oiled.  Check all the table bolts to make sure everything is tight as well as level.  Good luck.  Jim

• 1 month later...

I have to oil it often, because of the clacking noise if I don't. I was told to adjust the speed of the motor. That helped for a while, but then back to vibrating. The table is level and does not shake. The machine and the gray table top vibrate. I think we checked the wheels. I guess we will try adjusting the motor speed again. It seems the vibration is up by the needle. Changing the needle doesn't make any difference in the vibration. Thank you for all your suggestions. Bobbi

Edited by Mountain Rose Quilter

Bobbi:  Check the wheels again.  My guess is that they need tightening.  With the Lenni, you shouldn't need to change motor speed if you're running it in stitch regulated mode.  If you're running it in manual mode, I'd ask why?  Ever since I had the Intellistich regulator installed on my Ult 2 nine years ago I've used manual mode, maybe twice.  So much easier to use regulated.  Jim