Stash Busting

I have decided to use up my stash before buying new fabric. I know, I've lost my mind....after all, quilters just do not think like this, let alone type it out for all to see.....in writing!!

I started a little spreadsheet so I could see where I am and where I need to go. Then I can check off each quilt so I can see my progress. I have 12 quilts on the chopping block. So far, that is what comes to mind. Once I go into the quilt studio, others will pop into my mind, I'm sure. Here is the clincher....the last quilt on the list, Dear Jane. This will allow me to use all the scraps I have so far and all the scraps to come from the other 11 quilts listed here. I keep getting ads in my email of fabric sales, clearance items, new fabric lines, etc. I am always lured in, until I remember my promise to use it all up. (While typing that last line, I had to change my totals for 11 quilts on the list to 12....see what I mean). I would love to start a challenge to other quilters, maybe start a Facebook page or something. I know there are others who have as much as I do, it not more. I know a lot of you all are in business, and it is hard to do your own quilts because you are so busy working on customer quilts. That is how I acquired such a stash. I was buying fat quarters and yardage for something, just no plan. When I sold my Millie, the first time around, I was so burned out, I loaded up 7 trash bags of good quality fabric, UFOs, etc, and called a lady who needed fabric to teach battered women, in a shelter, to sew. I was happy to help others. And as much as I would like some of that good fabric back, I really have enough to keep me busy for a long time.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mary Beth I am mostly sewing from my stash now . I rarely buy unless it is a piece here or there to work into a project I am working on. When I did my elephant I bought the main trunk color then all the rest was from my stash I felt I needed more variety so I traded with others...I did not add to my stash I traded an equal amount of a fabric another lady had for the color I wanted. I loved doing this I will reach out to my friends more often instead of buying. I am helping another quilted get started doing small projects. I am not kiting fabric for tote bags for her at a screaming deal all from my stash. It is a win win for her and for me. My Guild has a competition each year with another guild to complete UFO's it is an elaborate point system the loser bring dessert to a luncheon and we have a hugh Show and Share  event . This is a great afternoon of visiting and Sharing

Terry, tell me more about your point system you use to reduce the UFO projects. I threw out a challenge to the members of my guild and provided a bag of goodies for the prize but when it came time to choose the one to win, it was really hard. Ultimately, I went with the one that told the best story behind their UFO. I would like to do this again but need a better method to choose the winner.

I've got several hundred bolts of fabric that I bought when I started my business.  I've sold a lot of it, but still have a TON left.

So I came up with the idea of making a quilt I call "Retail Therapy".  It's a tumbling block pattern where I randomly selected 88 of my retail fabrics to showcase in this quilt -- very scrappy.  Honestly, it's turning out to be a hideous quilt because I didn't put any thought into matching or coordinating fabrics.  My only thought was, "I've got to move out some of this fabric!"  The idea was to get the quilt finished, take it to my sewing club, and offer deep discounts to anyone who wanted to purchase any of the fabrics on the quilt (or any of the fabrics in my studio).  The quilt is only 1/3rd finished now, but hope to have it completed, quilted, and bound by the end of the month.  This may end up being donated to a homeless shelter or orphanage.   

That's not really clearing out my stash, but kind of the same thing.  For my personal stash, I've done "scrap bag" swaps.  I use the scraps from previous quilts to make more quilts.  Funny that the pile never seems to shrink!  Anyway, all of my quilts started looking the same to me because the scraps were the same over and over and over again.  Trading with others didn't necessarily reduce the overall number of scraps in my stash, but at least I was able to get new fabrics into the mix. 

One time I took 128 gallons of fabric scraps and gave them away to my mom and other sewers.  And I'll be honest, it was very hard for me to let go of all that fabric.  I felt like it was screaming "why are you abandoning us"?  It was awful.  But eventually I got over it.  Besides it didn't take any time at all before my bin was full again.  Anyone wanna do a gallon bag swap? 

I am such a hoarder when it comes to fabric, even the small pieces of scraps from a quilt project. My kids are always giving me a hard time about it. They have even told me that they hope I reduce my stash before I leave this world. This year I traded a bunch of fabric for other toys and donated a bunch to the church and school. Whenever I reduce my stash, I kind of go through fabric with-drawls. But I have been really good at avoiding quilt shops and online fabric stores this past year. Now if I can keep that up. I still have more than enough to last me a life time.

Every year the first New Years resolution is not to buy any fabric unless it is a backing. Number two on the resolution list is not to eat at McD's. I made it thru March on the first one, July on the second one and that wasn't by choice but by location. (The visit just reaffirmed my decision to keep the resolution on for next year.)

I too have a list of quilts/UFO's to make using only the stash and the list is around 16, however for one quilt I will need a couple of pinks and would like to acquire those by trade. Also looking for another pattern similar to "Raise the Roof" by Miss Rosie where I can use a large variety of prints and colors. (There I go again, acquiring more patterns, like I don't already have enough.)

Trying to be a good steward, but there are a few lines of fabric that are very tempting........not to mention the pattern books.

Vickie -- I agree with you --- tooooooo many temptations out there.   ..... and I have to look at them, especially the new fabric lines.  I've been doing better at not buying all of them (well, most of the time anyway).  ;)

And the way I look at it, the new patterns may actually HELP me get rid of my scrap stash....right?  At least it works in theory (if not in actuality). 

Terry, tell me more about your point system you use to reduce the UFO projects. I threw out a challenge to the members of my guild and provided a bag of goodies for the prize but when it came time to choose the one to win, it was really hard. Ultimately, I went with the one that told the best story behind their UFO. I would like to do this again but need a better method to choose the winner.

Cee I am not sure how it all works they have a computer program that they punch in the numbers and get the points so I will tell you what I know

It is based on size width x length this gives you points so if it was a 50 x60 = 3000 point

now comes the bonus points if it was a UFO (that is on a list you hand into the co-ordinator at the beginning of the year) you double the points

If it is not on our list but you finished it with all Stash( includes backing you get 1.5 x the points

If the UFO is more than 5 years old you get 1.5 x the pointsif your project is hand quilted you get 10X the points

Machine quilted it is 1.5 times the points

If it is made from a panel 50% of the points add 1 point for sleeve

Add 1 point for a label

Clear as mud right LOL

I told you it is complicated 

Just a heads up for all you stash busters....Bonnie Hunter is posting the colors and amounts of scraps needed for her mystery this year at the end of October sometimes.  She starts posting the clues for her mystery the Friday after Thanksgiving and gives one each Friday for the next 5-7 weeks.  This is free!  Until she takes down the clues...then she usually sells the pattern or puts it one of her books.  I have done that last two and it was fun.  Some folks do change the colors if they don't have a lot of one of them in their scrap stash or if they plain just want different colors.  I am planning on doing the one this year too.   Lin 

We moved from Florida last year to Ohio and I couldn't believe how big my stash was to pack up.  Unfortunately my new studio is much smaller.  I've been collecting scrappy quilt ideas on my pinterest sight.  I did purchase the book Stellar Quilts by Judi Martin.  I think it will be very FQ friendly.  I do a lot of applique so I'm a sucker for FQ's.  I think I will start piecing togeter FQ's to be used for backings for wall hangings.

I make a list of quilting projects that I need to finish and ones I want to start.  I put it on a 3x5 card and post it on the wall near my sewing machine and scratch them off as I complete them. 

I made a Dear Jane quilt and thought it would use up a lot of stash, not so much.  I did finish the quilt in 9 months named it "Dear Jane's War, My Peace". 

I'm quilting mostly for myself now except a few of my regular customers.

I printed out my spreadsheet and will post it on the wall next to either my sewing machine or my quilting machine, haven't thought that far ahead yet. I have Dear Jane in my future too. I am just learning to applique, so hopeful that will help get some of the load reduced. In February, when my job is done, I should be able to focus more on my list. 

Mary Beth:  I have made a similar resolution to use solely from my stash for new quilts.  It shouldn't be a problem really......except for the fact that our house is on the market and I had to pack up my sewing room and make it back into a bedroom.  Everything is in 3 closets, but finding stuff is the challenge right now.  Plus the fact I hate to get stuff out and have to put it all away all the time to show the house.  Hopefully it will sell quickly!  Then it's just getting it stored till the new house is completed.  After typing this I realize I likely won't be doing much quilting for a while.   Now I'm sad :(.  I haven't been home for 3 weeks (except briefly on weekends) as I'm helping to take care of the new grandbaby twins, William and Gabriel, and their big sister Gloria, age 17 months.  I guess I really don't have any time to quilt anyway.   But all those grandbabies sure make me happy :D

Mary Beth:  I have made a similar resolution to use solely from my stash for new quilts.  It shouldn't be a problem really......except for the fact that our house is on the market and I had to pack up my sewing room and make it back into a bedroom.  Everything is in 3 closets, but finding stuff is the challenge right now.  Plus the fact I hate to get stuff out and have to put it all away all the time to show the house.  Hopefully it will sell quickly!  Then it's just getting it stored till the new house is completed.  After typing this I realize I likely won't be doing much quilting for a while.   Now I'm sad :(.  I haven't been home for 3 weeks (except briefly on weekends) as I'm helping to take care of the new grandbaby twins, William and Gabriel, and their big sister Gloria, age 17 months.  I guess I really don't have any time to quilt anyway.   But all those grandbabies sure make me happy :D

So in your case, it is okay to buy more fabric. I mean, after all.....you can't get to your stash. Then after you move, you will have more stash to work with.

I've been hyperventilating about my out of control stash lately.  I kind of got out of control with online buying and buying precuts that are too good of a deal to pass up.  Like Mary Beth I have been buying without a plan.   I decided that instead of buying new fabric when I "need a fabric fix"  I will go to my stash and pick something to pet.  I have a lot of really cool stuff in there that I'm still really excited about when I remember that I have it!!   What I really need is time to sew.  I recently got IQ and am really loving it.  I'm getting caught up on customer quilts and very soon I plan to actually piece some of my own quilts again!  Yeah!!!! 

I feel better now that I got that off my chest!!!

Robin

I am doing a block of the month at my LQS. I qualified joining since it was $5 to join and $3 a month, when you bring your completed block. Score. So yesterday I went in to get my new block, and I took my momma and my daughter. I was picking up some FQ when my daughter said, over my shoulder, "I thought you weren't buying more fabric." I mumbled something about needing a specific color, then realized I was making an excuse. I am not even ready to work on that particular quilt yet. It will probably be a year....then new, better fabric will be out there. So I am learning to breathe while in the store. When we got into the car, Jen pointed at a lady and said she was walking out as we were walking in and she was say, "I will not buy more fabric, I will not buy more fabric."  lol.

You know I don't have any other addictions other than Diet Coke.  So I could be a lot more expensive than I am!

I really love that new book (oh, I guess I have a quilt book addiction, too), Town Square.  But I controlled myself, I only bought the book and a full panel set and two yards of one of the fabrics in the line, and then I went home and pulled the quilt I want to make from my stash.  We'll see how long I last before I need to get the real line of fabric for the quilt...

Maybe if we all talk each other through our temptations we won't buy so much fabric????

It sounds like your looking in my sewing room.  I have slowed my addictions down this year by setting up a folder for all the fabric, books and Crafty classes I buy.  I have had better control this year but still having problems.  I have now dropped all magazine subscriptions in hopes it will help, I just hope there isn’t a crash of the quilting supply industry with us trying to rain in our impulses.

I need something stronger than a 12 set program. Saundra

Archived