Cheap Bobbin Cam idea

I have knee problems, CANNOT kneel.  As a result, I am not able to contort myself to see under the quilt to check the bobbin stitches.  I"ll be spending the day unsewing a border----grrrrrrr. 

I picked around on the internet and found several ideas for bobbin cams, but I really don't want to have to have my laptop sucking up dust in my workroom and the space doesn't need one.more.thing.  So I got the brilliant (I hope) idea to order a wifi enabled endoscope.  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IA2ENVG?psc=1

Supposedly, this camera, which has built in lighting, will connect via wifi with my iphone.  (there are a BUNCH of similar cameras that connect directly with android phones).  Anyway, I think the cord will be too floppy to shove under the quilt, but I'm almost sure I can zip-tie the cord and camera to a dowel and make it work.   I won't be able to watch the bobbin thread real-time as I'm quilting, but I'll be able to check it periodically and after bobbin changes to prevent the mess I'm cleaning up. 

I'll let you know how this $40 scheme works.

Now that is an idea....my back does not bend like it once did....so what I have doing is using one of those large handheld mirrors and a wonderful flashlight I found at target....the flashlight has about a 5-6 inch square light...yep...and it has an adjustable folding foot so I can adjust the angle and set it down on the table to provide that light underneath that I need to check the stitches with the mirror...also feel with my fingernail to see if the bobbin is looping.  Been working so far but a cam would be better....

Anniam:

You could purchase an inexpensive older model cellphone, and velcro it to your machine.  People are always upgrading to the newest and best phones, so you should be able to find a used Apple 5s or Samsung  S5 phone for around a hundred dollars.  That way it would wirelessly connect with the phone, and you would have real time video of the underside when you quilt.  The most difficult thing will be remembering to charge the phone and the camera regularly so it is ready to go when you quilt.  Thank you or sharing the idea.  I may have to get one to more easily look into the bobbin area on my George.  It could come in handy for a lot of issues around the house.

Cagey

I received the camera--superfast Amazon delivery.  I can perform home medical procedures (joke) or view the underside of my quilt now.  I've played around with the camera a bit around the house  and I am pretty sure this is going to work well, but don't have a quilt loaded.  Hopefully, I can post some more info in a few days. 

• 2 years later...

Very interesting topic from 3 yrs ago. Did anyone actually hook something up? I looked at the endoscopes on Amazon and that seems very interesting. If anyone out there is using it, would love to hear how it works. My longarm sewed perfectly 2 passes but then something went wonky and I proceeded to do 2 more passes that I had to totally rip out....I really do not want to do that again, am looking for an inexpensive fix! 

• 1 month later...

When I purchased my Freedom I bought the bobbin camera TFT color monitor addition and use it regularly. BUT, now I'm thinking, after six years, what am I supposed to be seeing on the screen to show me perfect tension.  I've looked for pictures but can't find any on the internet.   Anyone with a camera - what do you see that makes you confident your tension is perfect?

Caddy: I've had a bobbin camera for several years now, but hardly ever use it.  My issue is exactly what you're asking about.  What does a perfect stitch look like?  About the only thing that the display helps with is loops and birds nests, and I've found feeling the bobbin stitches with my finger tip really tells me more than the camera.  When I bought it, thought it would be helpful, but it really hasn't been for me.  Jim

Archived