Embroidery quilt - Any suggestions on how to quilt this?

The embroidery looks like a dainty vintage hankie; I would outline the center motifs and the the edge (perhaps on the inside of the gold embroidery so as not to disturb the frilly edge)  and then do a medium filler on the background. The simple squares could be done with a pretty template or with grid work and continuous curves. It might be fun to do a feather border echoing the curves in the edge of the embroidery. You may want whatever filler you decide on the embroidery to spill over to the patched block. I would try to keep it vintage looking! What a sweet quilt.

I do a lot of embroidered quilts and always custom quilt them (duh!).  I would echo around the outside of the embroidery as close to the actual embroidery as you feel comfortable using a thread that matches the background fabric.  Quilt another echo inside the embroidery and then tack down the melon shapes.  On the outside of the embroidery block you could stich in the ditch or do SID and very small meander.  I always try to showcase the embroidery work. 

In the pieced blocks, cross hatching, orange peel, or feathers would work. 

In the first border, I would do a very light floral border pattern.  Feathers would work well in the outer border as would a larger floral border design.  Although if you use a floral border design in the outer border, you may just want to put a simple swag border on the inner border. 

Archived