Vintage Linen,......

Needed to take a break and do something for me,...  so loaded this little linen last night and played,...

I tried a couple new things to see how it would turn out,..... 

Layered the piece on silk to see how it would play together and I really liked the framing effect,...

then,  instead of Batting,... I used the the foam liner,...  I believe it is called Bosal Foam or Soft and Stable Foam

(The stuff used to line bags and purses} 

Wanted to see how my Milli would handle it and I was pleased with the results...

It gave the piece some defined texture,... but was not bulky in any way,....

Did not have to adjust tension and it quilted super easy,...... 

I think I am going to be working with this stuff a lot in the future!..... 

I am attaching a couple pics of the piece,... and one of the back,..... 

I used a black cloth for the back,... Just a piece I had in a pile of linens,...

the black came off on my hands as I handled the piece,.... and it changed the color

of my Thread,... I used Glide,... in White,...  but it stitched almost a pale grey blue,....

I like how it played with the piece,... so just kept stitching,..... 

Sometimes it is just fun to PLAY and try new things,..... 

Always something new to learn!!! 

Thanks for looking,......

Happy Quilting,....

Laura

post-1299-0-43435000-1477277977_thumb.jpgpost-1299-0-43674500-1477277989_thumb.jpgpost-1299-0-18430200-1477278005_thumb.jpgpost-1299-0-78702600-1477278028_thumb.jpg

The foam really makes your design pop.  I would hazard to guess that it also makes the design rather stiff, which would make it hang rather flat too.  Were the outside boarders of the linen scalloped at the beginning.  Lastly, I would say you probably played for hours on your new treasure.   Thank you for sharing.  It looks lovely, and inspires us all.

Cagey

Hi Lisae,.... I did not mark this piece,...  this piece only measures @ 12" x 17"  so I just followed the design in the piece,...

Used freehand straighline for the outer border,...  In the body of the piece,...  I wanted a focus,... so used a curved ruler to make the Double Pinched Square,...

which left me with the area for the rolling feathers,....  Decided to stipple the background to really make the feathers Pop!  then did the Feather motif

in the Center,.... and instead of stippling the background,... decided to go with pebbles for something different,....  In total,... it took about 1-1 1/2 hrs from start to complete,.... 

Looking again at this, I'm wondering about two things. 1. How did you do the two circles at each side? They look like some sort of mesh rather than the linen fabric. 2. How did you get the green to show in the four swirl motifs in the corners? Did you cut out fabric?

Archived