Pictures of Your First Quilt

Trying to finish up my morning coffee before getting back in the quilting room.

Thought it might be fun if we posted pictures of our very first quilts we ever made....Here is mine.....gave it to my mother for a Christmas present and she still has it draped over her recliner so that she can cover up when she gets cold.  The points don't match exactly but for a first quilt I'm very proud.

Just did stippling on it since I didn't have my midarm machine.

post-66081-0-73018600-1477401322_thumb.jpg

I've never been able to find a picture of it, but it was a scrappy quilt using 5 inch squares.  Put together in a sort of "around the world" style.  I used a butter tub lid to draw circles in each square and I hand quilted each circle and sid around the square.  It was HUGE.  I gave it to my mil at the time.  That was over 40 years ago.  I was just thinking how weird it is that I chose 5 inch squares way back then.

Would you believe that I've been quilting for over 25 years and still haven't finished my very first quilt!  :o

I still have it in my UFO pile.  I designed the quilt pattern, pieced the top, and began hand quilting it waaaay before I got my LA machine.  I don't want to finish hand quilting it and don't want to rip it out to put in on the LA frame.  It may be a perpetual UFO. IF and when I do ever finish it, what date do I put on the quilt label? (pieced in 1990, quilted in 2020)  lol

This was my first attempt at making a quilt. I pieced it and quilted it I pieced a lot of it by hand while we traveled during the summer of 2014. I finished it on my machine I quilted about half of it on my DMS. That's when I really got the bug for a longarm. Went to a road show and confirmed I was in love with George. Finished it on George. I learned a lot about quality fabric with this quilt as well as the fact that I needed a color wheel. The fabric is from garments I had made with just a little similar pieces purchased. I had a lot of fun with a different free motion design in each hexagon it is a king size. My friend at LQS helped me pick the borders and binding.post-67334-0-19763400-1477880424_thumb.jpgpost-67334-0-27282500-1477880472_thumb.jpg

David, Mary Beth, and Judy...

Thanks so much for sharing your first quilts...to me...they all are lovely and sweet!  I can't show you my first pieced quilt for two reasons.  1. I haven't figured out how to upload pictures....I will have to do that one of these days.  and 2.  I just gave my first quilt to my neighbor to cover his old car...he put it on his bed instead...It was a quilt that started out to be a pillow...yep...I read you were supposed to pick a focus fabric and then pick some fabrics that would go with it...didn't really know how much I would need...but I was gonna do it and wanted to make sure I had enough....well...when I got home and added up the fabric...I had gotten somewhere around 15 yards...don't laugh...I am serious.....so I figured I better make a lot of pillow fronts and put them together and make a quilt....did that...now to the sashing...well I put a short piece between each block horizontally...but then I thought I had a better idea for the vertical sashing so instead of making sashing with the cornerstones...I figured just making one loooonnnngggg piece of sashing would be quicker and accomplish the same effect...not quite...none of the blocks are exactly lined up from each other...ok...I was wonky before it was cool...anyway, I had to quilt the thing....and I just had my DSM so I figured that maybe if I used a zigzag stitch, it would look like hand quilting  (bad idea)  I just did this around the outside of the blocks doing it in straight lines across the quilt (which ending up being a very generous queen size)..I shortened my stitch at the beginning and end of each block to tie off and just dragged the thread over to the next block...by the time I was finished with this step...I was exhausted dragging the big quilt through the machine....so...I simply tied the center of each block 5 times...and stitched a line around the two borders and put the binding on...ok..it was a quilt that kept me warm for many years...now a bit faded and worn and given to neighbor who is delighted with it...and using it on his bed instead of his car and even showing it to his friends...I am sooooo embarrassed!!!!!Lin

Dear Sewingpup, I am sorry....When you said that you had purchased 15 yards for a pillow, I laughed out loud. When I continued, the very next sentence said, "Don't laugh." You may want to put that sentence before the sentence about the 15 yards, giving us warning :) 

I love that your neighbor loves this quilt. We go to so much trouble making quilts very special. I know I have pieced some quilts for family members that were a little challenging, and then took my time to custom quilt it to make sure it was very, very special. When you tell me about this quilt, it makes me see that people appreciate our efforts no matter. So when we think the quilt is worthy of only a car cover,  they see beauty. So "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"....ain't no lie!!!

Thank you for sharing your story.

Thank you Mary Beth,

Ever since I have had my Lucey, I have been in awe of the beautiful quilts on this forum ...I don't believe I will ever approach the skill and artistry of what I see....but..maybe my calling to this quilting stuff is just to make simple quilts, simply quilted for folks to use and enjoy.  I am going to go with that and enjoy!  Thanks again.  Lin 

• 4 weeks later...

You folks all have beautiful quilts for your first.

The second quilt I made, but not knowing it was a "QUILT", our oldest daughter still has.  It was her baby quilt.  He older brother has his, I think, but no telling.

The first quilt  I made, knowing it was a Trip Around the World.  I think it was one of the Quilt in a Day patterns in a magazine.

We still have it, and even though the fabric was bought in a Dime Store none is showing wear.   It is only a double size, we prefer a large queen.

I suppose I will need to dig it out and get photo's of it.  I wasn't happy with all the colors, but that was my very uneducated choice of materials available.  Seems it was right after inventory, and supplies were limited.

Still, I was and still am, proud of it.

Here is my very first quilt that I finished in 2013, when I took my first step down this fabric journey.  I made it for my sister's oldest daughter when she had her first child.  My sister knitted a blanket or afghan for all my 5 daughters, so I felt I owed my sister and her memory to make something for her grandchildren.  I had never been to a quilt store, much less pieced a single block in my life.  I luckily there was a hidden treasure of a quilt store in my area with over 8,000 bolts of fabric with ladies that took the time to teach and guide me through the steps.  I know a number of them had to laugh when I called asking how I was going to cut the rectangle I had made in three pieces and sew it back together on point.  I ended up digging through things in the garage for a long straight edge cutting guide, when I found an old metal level that has worked wonders over the past three years.  While I did not quilt it, I am still happy with the way it came out.

1-1 Heidi Front.jpg

Pretty interesting how after turning it on point, two of the same fabrics came together.  Yes, I know most would not notice it, but it still ticks me off.  Stupid ducks.  The same niece is expecting my sister's second grandchild in March, so I am getting ready to make a quilt for that baby.  Which brings me to a question, is it bad form to make the quilt prior to the baby being born?

Cagey

I don't have a picture of my first quilt, but I definitely remember it.  It was made with about 4" squares; no pattern (I had no idea there was such a thing).  No binding because that was a foreign object for me.  I sewed around three sides and turned it right side out.  I think it was a queen size and I remember taking a a sheet of batting and crawling inside to get it laid flat.  I used yarn to tie it and then sewed the bottom closed.

I'd probably be horrified if I saw it now.  But it planted the quilting seed.

I made my first quilt in 1998 and gave it to my best friend who was expecting a baby at the time. But I do have a picture. I quilted it by hand because I had no idea how to do it by machine. All in the ditch. And I remember doing the binding three times because I just couldn't figure out how to do it. No pattern, no instructions. I still like it... although today I would quilt it differently. All those huge empty spaces!

Edit: Wow, huge picture... I was glad I managed to upload it at all. Is there any way to make it appear smaller or do I need to resize the original?

First-Quilt.jpg

Beatrice:

I for one like the larger image.  It is not an issue in my opinion.  I for one like not having to click on the old small image to see the detail in the image, and get a real idea of all the work and love that went into the work of art.  I wonder how the others go the image so small.  I hazard to guess it is a lower resolution image, but am not sure.  But again, I do not see the point in wanting to have it little.  Think Millie 30.

Your first quilt looks wonderful in my opinion.

Cagey 

I started quilting while pregnant with the third baby. Back in 2001. I finished my king trip around the world quilt top.  Still my favorite pattern. I had no clue how to do the backing. So I put it aside to work on all 3 of my then children.  After finishing theirs I went back to try and figure out how in the world to piece the backing of mine. A lot of frustration and a preemie baby I gave up quilting in 2002. Until I was pregnant with the last of my babies. In 2009 I decided I wanted to make a quilt for my youngest. Well his got side railed also when he decided to come early I was put on hospital bed rest until he was born and he came really small, 1 lb 9 oz. He was in the hospital for a long time. All together I was gone 4 months. Even when he finally came home he was on a heart monitor and oxygen. Then his kidney problems started and 5 surgeries. Mean while I felt beyond guilty I didn't keep him in long enough, thought i was the reason he was having all these problems and on top of that he didn't even have his very own quilt for all his hospital stays. In 2012 things finally slowed down enough for me to get his quilt done, also a trip around the world. As soon as I got his done I wanted mine, since I was now the only one without a quilt lol. Hard to admit but I had to go to youtube to figure out the backing.  At that time I thought there was supposed to be only 1 seam lol nor did I know anything about wide backings.  I also decided to get Patience. The 1st quilt on Patience was my 1st quilt. Oh was there ever problems with the quilt especially borders there is a few tucks. But I do love my quilt. As you can see so does he. Always on our beds.

20140513_124838.jpg

IMAG0727.jpg

IMAG0714.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Just became a member of this group - I also have had my Lucey for only a short time.  I purchased her the end of October, 2016.  Here is a photo of the first full quilt I did.  However, I must admit that I practiced for a few weeks before I attempted an actual quilt.  I am loving my Lucey, the only complaint I have is that I wish the table had a height adjustment to fit me.  I am just under 5 feet and the table does not adjust to a comfortable height.  My brother-in-law is going to build me a platform . . . and yes you can laugh . . . ;-)  I did E2E Dragonflies on the body of the quilt with hand guided piano key on floral border and E2E Ribbon Candy (modified) on the pink borders.  I still need to put the binding on but I think I did a pretty good job.

I am loving the forum . . .

Thanks

Bonnie

PB140001.JPG

PB140003.JPG

PC290009.JPG

Archived