Mt. Redoubt +

Am perplexed and need your ideas, please.  The attached photos show the quilt top laid out on a king bed - so it's not perfectly lined up for the side or foot drapes.  The middle panel/medallion is already quilted and will be quilted again on the long arm - just enough to make the quilt sandwich secure and happy.  There is a lot of background fabric plus the flying geese and the panels (which are about 12" x 13" on the side and foot drapes).  This is going to an Army couple (both are West Point grads) who will live in Alaska.

I will be quilting this queen size quilt on a semi-long arm and am a novice (but very good at meandering on the long arm!).  Therefore, not skilled at long-arm quilting.  But willing to learn and push the envelope.

I'd love to hear ideas from you folks about how to quilt this top...  Thank you, in advance, for your assistance.

Linda

post-98077-0-31574300-1477939777_thumb.jpg

post-98077-0-28790600-1477939803_thumb.jpg

post-98077-0-48178700-1477939816_thumb.jpg

You will get more responses if you post this in one of the other forums. This one is primarily for help with machine problems. I hate this type of quilt. I would break up that border. Divide it into sections. Given your skill level, 3 sections per border. Because the borders are not even, go from one edge of the top border to the other.,same on the bottom border dividing it up as you choose...for example, a 6 inch strip along the outer edge a 4 inch section in the middle a 5 inch nearest the panel. But realize I have no idea the actual size of the border. Piano keys in the section closest to the edge. A fill..such as a very small meander in the middle section, and more piano keys in the section closest to the panel. Then do each side the same..butting your designs against the already quilted top and bottom. This fabric is going to show everything so I would not practice anything beyond your skills on this one.

Linda:

I suggest you get the book by Angela Walters "Shape by Shape".  Then using her suggestions and your particular skill level complete the quilt.  She has a number of designs that would look terrific in the flying geese.  Plus some others for the small and large borders.  Maybe trace the birds and wildlife just to take them down (complying with the batting maximum quilt spacing) and not distract from the picture itself.  I am sure it will turn out wonderful.  Though just as every quilter does, you will be your own worst critic.  Best of luck, and be sure to share some pictures of your finished treasure.

Cagey

Archived