First Quilt Off Lenni :-)

I just finished this little quilt, the first off of my new Lenni that has been together about a week. Man, a little stressful and certainly not perfect! I volunteer to quilt for a group of local ladies who make quilts that are donated to Sick Kids Hospitals near us. This quilt was pieced by one of those ladies. Often times they are challenging in that I am given the sandwich materials that aren't very generous, I,e. Barely enough. This was one of them and an extra challenge for me trying it first on my Lenni. It also came with a polyester batting, also not something I had worked with in years and never in machine quilting.

The backing was 2" longer than the quilt top and 4" wider. So I basically added a temporary muslin border of 4" all the way around to give me enough to load it. The batting was barely the size of the top :-(. Being new to this whole longarm game, I decided to float the top so I'd have a bit more control over the sandwich seeing as I had to maneuver the batting and top within the scant limits I had to work with. Some of the pieced 2" square sections had a bit of excess within the section, so I had to try and control that too. Fortunately the quilt measured out fairly square on the outside, but I still got a few poofs here and there and a bit of distortion at the end, that I am just thankful wasn't any worse, considering my lack of experience and everything else. I used straight pins to baste the sandwich to try and maintain some integrity while I ditched around the rectangles of squares and basted the outside edge of the top. It seemed to work. I even removed the quilt and turned it so I could quilt the long borders in one go. I admit to winging it on these little quilts as I don't like to mark them, so you may notice pattern inconsistencies when my mind wanders and I kinda make it up as I go!

Having come over from quilting on my Sweet 16, I'm finding it a challenge to learn the how to of the longarm process, and hope I'll get as comfortable with it. There is more to it than meets the eye ;-) !

Thanks for taking a look!

K

post-97968-0-69032700-1479176408_thumb.jpeg

post-97968-0-00113700-1479176443_thumb.jpeg

post-97968-0-49622100-1479176462_thumb.jpeg

It looks lovely :)   One thing I did for my quilt friends was I wrote down and printed off some guidelines on what was needed for a quilt to be quilted on a longarm machine. I gave this out to all the ladies and when I found a quilt that had 'issues' I included this guideline with the quilt when I gave it back.  This really helped alot.

Thanks for the great comments and encouragement. This forum has helped immeasurably, to get me up and running! Good idea to make a handout for my Kids Quilt group, as I don't always get to talk to them when I'm picking up or dropping off quilts. They run on donations of funds and fabric, so they are understandibly frugal in their use of resources, so the reusable muslin extensions help with that. I really enjoy doing the little quilts up. The group makes up some really fun little quilts, and since I don't have any grandchildren yet, I still get to indulge in some quilts for kids :-)

Archived