Marking your quilt top

I don't know if this is the right place to put this but here's my question.

If you mark your quilt what do you use and then how do you get rid of the marks?

I've use a few different things, I like the blue pen but it makes me nervous in terms of making sure I got it, and it's really gone.  

I use the chalks but then they look chalky after I'm done?

Any thoughts?  Thanks

For the blue marking pen, I just give it a spritz of water. Sometime I use a little piece of scrap batting to wipe at the blue mark that doesn't come off with just water. Now that I think about it, I use scrap batting a lot. I use it on the chalk marks too. I usually don't have much of a problem getting it off. The Miracle chalk comes off with steam, so I use my iron, it has a great woosh of steam.

PG:

Yes, I do wash all my quilts.  If I am giving away a quilt, I want to be sure it is washed clean, and more importantly that I have dye catchers in the wash.  I do not want the the person I give it to, to not follow the washing directions properly and mess up all my hard work.  

While I am working on my first whole cloth quilt, I believe I will have to soak it so I can block and dry it square.  I hope this helps.  

Cagey

You can go old school and wash it in the tube.  It is not like you are trying to wash a grease or ink stain out of the quilt.  You are just trying spruce it up, after all the handling of the quilting and piecing.  As long as you quilted over all the appliqué, and then have the washing machine treat it gently, I do not think you will have an issue using your washing machine.  You may also want to use a low spin speed depending on how new your washer and dryer are.  Depending on the look you are going for, you will have to decide to air dry or machine dry.  Let us see it when your done.

Cagey

2 hours ago, Pepsi Girl said:

Yes and I do.  But haven't you ever struck a sweater?:blink:

And a king size quilt is a big load I always wonder if it's to big.

If your washing machine is not big enough....you can always take your chances with beg bugs and go to a laundry mat :D

56 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

If your washing machine is not big enough....you can always take your chances with beg bugs and go to a laundry mat :D

No way Missy! I've done it and it's soon to be loaded in finished quilts. Titled Amish with a Twist 3

Dont look to close

Wash mine as well, love the look. But, what I really wanted to tell is my husband picked up an old washer (20+) from someone who was upgrading and put it in our garage. It's a machine and when I have a large one that I am worried about my newer washing machine being able to handle, out to the garage it goes. It is common for garage refrigerators, but garage washing machine is pretty handy as well.

On a side note, he also picked up a stove. Great for canning in the summer, keeps all that heat outside (garage outside).

My "summer kitchen" . ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I wash all my fabric, not my quilts until they are used a bit. When I give someone a quilt I tell them how I wash it gently with my homemade detergent in cold water and line dry. (yes I know not everyone has a clothesline, but I sure do and use the heck out of it. Love that fresh smell on the quilts My Grandmother never washed her quilts, but they all stayed on top of the bed or in a closet. Yes I got a few of those.

On December 29, 2016 at 9:47 PM, AnnP said:

I wash all my fabric, not my quilts until they are used a bit. When I give someone a quilt I tell them how I wash it gently with my homemade detergent in cold water and line dry. (yes I know not everyone has a clothesline, but I sure do and use the heck out of it. Love that fresh smell on the quilts My Grandmother never washed her quilts, but they all stayed on top of the bed or in a closet. Yes I got a few of those.

would you share your soap recipe?

InesR   You can find it on the Duggard's website. Google their clothes detergent. I use it on all my clothes. You can buy the ingredients, arm and hammer washing powder,borax, and netftal soap. I put lavender essential oil in mine. Not for my quilts though, even though I dont think it would hurt. 

Archived