Stiff needle motion

Hello, just setup my new Miile (ex demo) and find that the motor is straining (and takes an age) when I raise of lower the needle. It takes about 2 seconds to go up or down. The hand wheel on the side is also very stiff.

Do I simply need to oil it, or has it been 'locked' for shipping? Any advice gratefully received!

Thanks

Daryl

I suspect it is just tight because it is new.  Needle down/up should take about one second.  Unthread past the take up lever and run the machine in manual at a medium speed for five minutes or so and then check the up/down and see if it is quicker.  It can be adjusted but unless it is really bad I wouldn't until you have some hours on it.  As the machine breaks in it will get easier to rotate and therefore the needle up/down will get quicker.  If you adjust it now you may have to adjust again after the machine breaks in.  If the needle positioning speed is too fast the needle will keep cycling.  If the room is cold that can affect it as well.  

Don't over oil the machine it makes a mess.  One drop on the wicks when they are dry to the touch about once a month for us.

Nigel

When I got my new Millie, the needle up down was slow and sounded like it was working too hard. I called APQS and they told me how to adjust it. They said to just adjust it a little at a time. I had to adjust it more than just a little, but now it works great. Give them a call   

Deb.

Thank you Quilta93,

i am in the Uk, so calling gets expensive. 

I emailed my rep in uk and she said to adjust the single stich speed with a dial at the rear of the machine and this should adjust the up/down problem. Was this the solution for you? I can't test till the new year as we are away from the machine!

Daryl

Yes Daryl.  That's how it's done.  On earlier models it's under the top cover on tower 8.  You'll only need to twist it about a 1/4 turn either direction for results.  If you go to far it will continue to cycle up and down.  Just back it off a bit.  Keep adjusting it til your happy with the speed.   Zeke. 

On December 20, 2016 at 1:28 PM, Daryl said:

Thank you Quilta93,

i am in the Uk, so calling gets expensive. 

I emailed my rep in uk and she said to adjust the single stich speed with a dial at the rear of the machine and this should adjust the up/down problem. Was this the solution for you? I can't test till the new year as we are away from the machine!

Daryl

Yes it was. The little black dot art the back of the machine is what you want.  Take the cover off and use a small common screwdriver to make the adjustment  

Deb.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Thank you Zeke and Deb, your both very kind for taking the trouble to help!

I can't try till the new year, but you have all given great comfort that there is nothing seriously wrong with the machine and it just needs small adjustment.

Thanks,

Daryl

Archived