Turbo Bobbin Winder

I could not see investing the money for the turbo winder.  I made my own winder for about $50.  You can do a search on the forum for the thread.  If I were you, and you want a standalone bobbin winder, I would look at Gammill's.  There is another maker that looks almost exactly like it, but I cannot find the name of it at this time.  I for one like the ability of being able to slow down my bobbin winding speed for monopoly thread and other speciality threads.  You want a quality bobbin winder that will give you a consistent tension wind.

Cagey

Kimberly

This question comes up at least once per year.  The Turbo Winder does an excellent job but is it that much better than cheap ones that came with the less expensive APQS machines.  Yes it is but there are alternatives.  Ray at quilttech.com has winders similar to what Cagey has built for herself at a fair price.  I have a similar one that works well as well as the Turbo Winder that came with our Millie.  The Turbo Winder doesn't wind the steel bobbins that came with my Ultimate 1 but the other winder will do either.  You probably already have an old domestic machine that will wind your bobbins you would just need a thread  stand to hold the cones.  Personally I wouldn't spend the money for the Turbo Winder but I am cheap,  but if it is in your budget it is nice to use the best tools.

JMO

Nigel

Kimberly:  I agree with both Cagey and Nigel.  I've set up several bobbin winders, both sourced by parts, and complete winder assemblies.  I was not aware that the Turbo Winder would only wind aluminum bobbins, which seems like a strike against it.  I have three winders for my long arms, and two for our Singer Featherweight and 301's.  I've spent as much as $100 for one and as little as $10 for another.  Because they are relatively inexpensive, I have the three long arm ones set for different weight threads.  The Featherweight units are used to wind Superior's Master Piece thread which we use for piecing, off 2500 yard cones.

I've often wondered why APQS provides poor quality winders with their down market machines, when a good industrial winder can be had for such a reasonable sum.  Apparently there is something about that I don't understand.  I just looked on e-Bay yesterday under "alphasew motor" and saw a used winder for $41.  It had everything but the metal "hook" for the cone holder.  You probably already have one of those.  Check it out if you're interested.  I bought a similar set up a while back for about the same price, and am very happy with it.  If you're uncomfortable buying a used unit, then go to Quilt Tech and buy a new one from Ray.  I highly recommend doing business with him, great service.  Jim

I breakaduhfingers if anyone tries to take my Turbo.

I was afraid I'd get my fingers in it when turning it on.  Himself made a hook and attached it to a piece of 1" dowel.

When  I'm ready to turn it on, I put the hook end up, reach under and hook it then raise the hook.

It made things so easy for me.

Since we are talking about bobbin winders - I would like to mention the K-Kraft bobbin winder.  Mine has served me very well for several years.  It started slowing down recently and I thought I would have to replace it, or at least replace the motor,  but after a very pleasant conversation with the folks at heartbeatquilting. com, I found out it only needed to be oiled, not replaced.  Who knew?!?!?! 

Carol

Got mine when I bought Lucey. It came with her. Absolutely love it. I have it set up on a small table beside the frame. So easy to use and fast winding. The stitches are still great. I also wind other bobbins from my Qnique 15 " on the frame which has a bobbin winder on the machine. 

On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2016 at 11:16 AM, jimerickson said:

Kimberly:  I agree with both Cagey and Nigel.  I've set up several bobbin winders, both sourced by parts, and complete winder assemblies.  I was not aware that the Turbo Winder would only wind aluminum bobbins, which seems like a strike against it.  I have three winders for my long arms, and two for our Singer Featherweight and 301's.  I've spent as much as $100 for one and as little as $10 for another.  Because they are relatively inexpensive, I have the three long arm ones set for different weight threads.  The Featherweight units are used to wind Superior's Master Piece thread which we use for piecing, off 2500 yard cones.

I've often wondered why APQS provides poor quality winders with their down market machines, when a good industrial winder can be had for such a reasonable sum.  Apparently there is something about that I don't understand.  I just looked on e-Bay yesterday under "alphasew motor" and saw a used winder for $41.  It had everything but the metal "hook" for the cone holder.  You probably already have one of those.  Check it out if you're interested.  I bought a similar set up a while back for about the same price, and am very happy with it.  If you're uncomfortable buying a used unit, then go to Quilt Tech and buy a new one from Ray.  I highly recommend doing business with him, great service.  Jim

Jim I wind all kinds of bobbins on my turbo winder for millie. Steel, aluminum , both ,one hole lots of holes, a lot of holes on one side and none on the other. That being said I liked the bobbin winder for Ultimate II better. Carol

I made sure I kept my turbo winder from George when I got Lucey.  I wouldn't try to make my own because that isn't my mind process and my hubby will only have time to make on after he dies, so where would that leave me?  LOL.  Yes, the cost is something to consider, but also consider the cost of the quilting machine you have.  They both will and can last a long time so the cost isn't as bad as consistantly replacing something.

Archived