Long arm height

Newbie still trying to get in my groove but feel like my table is too low. The front roller is about 2" below my belly button and my arms are not at 90 degree angle. ( yes, I'm tall and long waisted).  How long are the adjustable legs on the APQS Freddie?  I even think I'd prefer it higher than 90 degrees...

My favorite height is when the front roller lands between my belly button and bosom; I think your frame is too low, also. I am not sure how high the adjustable legs are on the newer frames, but I would think you can raise it several inches and it would be far more comfortable for you.

When I took my beginner class from Dawn I believe she said a comfortable height is at the belly button.  Not sure how high the standard table legs will go.  You might consider the hydraulic lift since you can adjust the height to suit your current comfort level.  Right now my table is at the lowest level it will go - 36" at the backing bar - and I am sitting on a stool and doing SID.  When I free motion I raise it to waist high and will occasionally raise or lower a tiny bit to get a different angle for back/arm relief.   To test I raised the table to 42" at the backing bar and stopped because I was not comfortable raising it any higher, not sure how much higher it would go.

4 hours ago, yankiequilter said:

When I took my beginner class from Dawn I believe she said a comfortable height is at the belly button.  Not sure how high the standard table legs will go.  You might consider the hydraulic lift since you can adjust the height to suit your current comfort level.  Right now my table is at the lowest level it will go - 36" at the backing bar - and I am sitting on a stool and doing SID.  When I free motion I raise it to waist high and will occasionally raise or lower a tiny bit to get a different angle for back/arm relief.   To test I raised the table to 42" at the backing bar and stopped because I was not comfortable raising it any higher, not sure how much higher it would go.

I'll put that lift on my wish list for the future.  His mind is still reeling from the purchase price....

4 hours ago, LisaC said:

My favorite height is when the front roller lands between my belly button and bosom; I think your frame is too low, also. I am not sure how high the adjustable legs are on the newer frames, but I would think you can raise it several inches and it would be far more comfortable for you.

We finally read the directions and for the APQS Freddie we could adjust the legs 9".  Much better!

You can buy hydraulic lifts and make the system yourself for a lot less money. We purchased my Suspa lifts on eBay and they are identical to the system from APQS. My husband has purchased many hand cranks lifts for his woodworking tables which are very big and heavy; they lift very easily; and those would work on your APQS. PM me if you want some information on how to do it yourself.

I raise and lower my frame many times in a single quilting session; I find it to be a very valuable tool. I also use the saddle stool and sitting for fine, detailed work! Then it is lowered almost to the bottom.

• 2 weeks later...

I adjusted and adjust height when I first got my machine.  I finally got a  hydraulic lift and now I can adjust whenever I need to.  I find that even an inch change can make a difference.  If I'm sitting I have it lower if I'm standing I have it higher.  If I'm doing micro work I have it different then if I'm doing a panto.  

Archived