Was Never Given A Quilt

I was reading though posts and was reading where so many of you still have a quilt that someone gave you as a child.  I just finished the two princess quilts for my grand daughters and hope to make quilts for the other two this coming year.

Then I thought how nice it would have been if someone had given me a quilt when I was young.  Both my mother and grand mother were quilters....hand quilting on a large frame...we kids used to play under the frame and use it as a fort....but they made quilts to keep for winter since we lived on a farm they were a necessity.

Guess I'm just a little envious they you folks got quilts and I didn't.  Guess I'll just go make myself another one.  LOL.

Anybody got stories of your first quilt that was given to you?

I had a quilt as a child did not appreciate it like I would today. My mother was a frustrated sewer she liked to embroider blocks and she put them together into a quilt for my older brother and me as I said she was a frustrated sewer so she did not do one for the rest of the kids. Then last year i was gifted some orphan blocks and scraps of fabric and in the bottom in the bag were some embroidered blocks just like the ones my Mom did for me. brought back memories. I was talking with her a couple weeks after I found them and she smiled and nodded that she remembered the blocks she saw the excitement in my story of finding these blocks but she just smiled. we went on with our visit and I went along my way. Two day later she called me and said she went hunting through her things and found another set of blocks she did not ut together into a top and a top that was made but not put in a quilt, and wondered if I wanted them. Talk about excited. I said YES in a real hurry. Now mom is embroidering again and making sets for me to make into quilts for Great Grand Children when they come along. This is a real treat to give them a quilt from a grandma and great grandma. Special family treasures. Thanks for listening to my long story. Thank-you for reminding me of this memory David 

My mom said she made quilts for us when we were younger but I don't remember ever having one.  Later in my mom's life, she made quilts for all my siblings and all the grandchildren, but never made me one.  She said because knew I made quilts, she thought she could never make one as nice for me.  Her quilts were beautiful.  I would have loved to have a quilt from her.  I do have one quilt that we both worked on.  I did all the applique and quilting, but she did hours and hours of hand silk embroidery on it.  It is a quilt that I will always treasure in remembrance of her.

My grandmother gave me my first quilt when I graduated high school.  It's scrappy, hand sewn.  She gave me another one when I married.  I treasure both of them.  Part of what I love about them is that I can pick out fabrics she used to make her pantsuits, back in the 60's and 70's!  Such memories!!

I always thought I'd quilt when I was a little old lady, like Grandma did..  :-)))))

ok, now I need to go take pictures of the quilts to post.....

When I was about 5 my mom showed me a quilt that my great-great grandmother had made for me.  I remember the quilt, I thought it was the most beautiful thing I ever saw.  It was a log cabin, hand tied with my name, birth date and grandma's name done in hand embroidery.  The back was bright red flannel with white stars.  Mom, said I could have it when I was old enough to take care of it.  I would sit and look at it folded in the closet for hours.  I didn't know my great-great grandmother and I wonder what she looked like and if I was special, she died before I was old enough to know her.  Anyway, we were very poor and it was freezing to death or using the quilt so mom pulled it out and put it on my bed (I'm sure it hurt her deeply).  I remember the quilt slowly deteriorating after a year or two (not very good for the fabric when it froze to the wall every night and had to be pulled free to sleep under).  Anyway, I wish I still had a piece of the quilt but I have the memory that someone once loved me.  I'm sure that memory had something to do with me wanting to be a quilter.

Archived