Favorite winter soups

This is the time of the year when those of us in colder climates often put on a good hearty soup and enjoy the day quilting. What are your favorites?  I made Beef & Barley and Ham & Beans this week, both with plenty of vegetables so I can call it a balanced meal. 

Heidi-

I'd love to share the recipe, but I never make it the same way twice. It's one of those things that I add what I've got, usually left overs. (Last batch of gumbo had corn added and my hubby thought I had lost my mind, but hey-it was in the fridge and I didn't want it to go to waste.)

Basics: Gumbo starts with a roux. Browning butter and then adding flour until it becomes a beautiful brown color. Be careful not to burn it. Then add in tomatoes. This can be tomato sauce, diced, whole tomatoes, what ever you prefer. Next I'm adding in A LOT of "Old Bay" seasoning, pepper, salt, tabasco and a couple of bay leaves. If you have it, add gumbo file powder. Add in diced onions, diced bell peppers, chopped celery, and what ever is left in the fridge. Here's where the good part comes in-adding seafood, chicken, or sausage. Usually gumbo is made with shrimp, but jambalaya (a close cousin of gumbo) is made with chicken or sausage. If you've got clams, oysters or fish, throw that in. (You can find plenty of gumbo recipes on the internet.) My dad believed it wasn't gumbo unless it contained okra, but who am I to argue. Cook up a batch and serve over rice.

My favorite soup to make is homemade vegetable beef soup. I slow cook a sirloin or chuck roast overnight seasoned with spices. The next day, I take the broth and divide it between two slow cookers, add all the vegetables we like, tomato sauce and petite diced tomatoes. I pull the meat apart with a fork and add it to both slow cookers. Once all the ingredients are added, I let it slow cook for the remainder of the day for dinner. I always make homemade corn bread to go with it. This is my families favorite soup.

Happy Quilting,

Carmen

New Millie owner

Chile verde chicken or pork soup, I use Green enchilada sauce, hominy, onion & cilantro, carrot & other veggies you have fresh or frozen.

Buy or roast your own chicken or pork, separate the meat, simmer the bones in water, add more pre made broth if you want richer soup.  Add all the veggies, hominy & cubed/shredded cooked meat, simmer, correct seasoning.  Serve with cilantro, fresh minced onion, Mexican oregano and lime or lemon.

I make soups all year round. I can them with my fresh vegetables and then add herbs that I grow. And any soup goes with my homemade rosemary bread or fresh baguettes. This is making me hungry and I already ate dinner.

Sauerkraut lovers only--We make a sauerkraut, potatoes and Polish sausage soup, cream of mushroom soup, chicken broth, carrots, celery, onion, cooked chicken, fresh mushrooms.  Season with pepper and diluted.  Top with bacon and boiled eggs.   I think I have made in top of stove but this last time put it in the crockpot as suggested and it was wonderful.  First time I made it, husband said he didn't like sauerkruat but he now loves it.  This recipe was a winner in some contest.

But we love all soups including everything mentioned in above posts.

My favorite is potato soup - diced potatoes and a small onion, chopped.  Put it in a pot with just enough water to barely cover.  Cook till the potatoes are tender.  Then remove from heat and add a package of cream cheese (cubed, stir until melted in).  Then add a stick of butter (real butter is best), sliced, again, stir until melted.  Put it back on the burner on medium. 

Add a can of Cream of Mushroom, and a can of Cream of Celery soup. Stir to incorporate.  Then add milk, anywhere from 1/2 cup to a cup - until it is the consistency you like.  Add pepper and garlic salt to taste.  Heat until it's up to serving temp.  We like to add baked potato toppings to our bowls (shredded cheese, chopped chives, bacon bits, etc.)  The funniest part of my recipe is that it uses all that fattening cream cheese and butter  . . . . . then I use skim milk at the end, yeah, like THAT will make it less bad for me, lol.

Archived