Last Q4K Quilts for Awhile!

I just finished the last two quilts I had picked up before Christmas for the Quilts 4 Kids gals. Yay!  Now I'm gonna take a break and start something for me :D.

These Quilts were pieced by someone else, I only did the quilting on Lenni, of course.  The Spiral Feathers on one were taken from. Tutorial given by Threaded Quilting on her blog and the square flower was from The Inbox Jaunt.  Both motifs were new to me and a lot of fun to quilt freehand.  I really loved the batiks in the one quilt. So pretty!

IMG_4024.JPG

IMG_4027.JPG

IMG_4010.JPG

IMG_4012.JPG

Thanks everybody!  I almost always try something new to quilt on each quilt.  I'm easily bored and it builds choices/repertoire.  Because of that, I guess I tend not to perfect the designs I quilt, because I don't stick to them long enough to get them 100%.   I struggle with allover designs yet, as I always seem to get myself boxed in to a tight spot and it messes with my density control.  I think for that reason, I prefer the "custom quilt" approach where the quilt is broken down to smaller pieces, less room to get into trouble ;)!  On the other hand, I love the allover designs as they are more relaxing to quilt, less stress = more fun!  The square flower design starts in the center of each block, and I struggled with a way to get in there and out and onto the next block relatively cleanly.  I didn't ditch the quilt because of the time it takes and they are donated quilts...  Any tips or ideas you can offer me for approach to any of this is always appreciated!  

4 hours ago, EHonour said:

I really like the way your spiral feathers complement the straight bars in each block on the first quilt.  Nice contrast!

Thanks!  You know it's funny that you say that, as I spend a lot of time "researching" quilting ideas I think might work or be appropriate for a quilt, so I went to it after said research with an idea/plan, got the thread all set up, etc., had another look at it, and this Ah Ha moment struck and I remembered that motif from the Inbox Jaunt blog and voila, decided to do the flower/feather thing and I was very happy with it in the end.  I find that often happens...

Archived