Bubbles and Bars

Whee!  A first "client" quilt.  Well, not really.  But it's the first one I've done for someone other than my wife.  This was pieced by a good friend, and I offered to quilt two of her quilts as a birthday present.  This is the first.

Lots of straight lines and bars in her quilting, but the colors were so bold and young that I thought it needed lots of fun freeform bubbles and bounces.  I've now given it back to her, and she was delighted.

Her second quilt is languishing back in my Tennessee studio, awaiting our return from Florida in April.  It'll be more formal.

DSC_0001 (1).jpg

DSC_0003 (1).jpg

Great job, Eric.  I'm still too nervous to use a light thread on black, but you just went for it.  I'd love to see more closeups of the other blocks, so when you post the second quilt I'll be looking for them.  I love what you quilted in the outer border.  Adding those little circles is just really cute.  Can't wait to see the second quilt.

On 1/5/2017 at 11:02 AM, LibbyG said:

Great job, Eric.  I'm still too nervous to use a light thread on black, but you just went for it.  I'd love to see more closeups of the other blocks, so when you post the second quilt I'll be looking for them.  I love what you quilted in the outer border.  Adding those little circles is just really cute.  Can't wait to see the second quilt.

On 1/5/2017 at 6:50 AM, lisae said:

Oh, I love the quilting on this, Eric! I especially like the quilting in the black border! Very nicely done!

On 1/4/2017 at 10:02 PM, Kwiltr said:

That's awesome!  I like your black border motif with the hook in the circle and the outside border too.  Not surprised to hear your 'customer' was very happy!  

I have to give the credit for the circle-and-hook design to Angela Huffman of Quilted Joy in Louisville (APQS dealer and teacher).  I practiced it a few times on a scrap piece, and I found it's just a fun, bouncy design to do.  Swirl around and around, hook in, hook out, and swirl around the other way.  I did have to do some pre-planning of spacing to get the circles to match at the "T" joints of the black sashing.  If you look REAL close (ah, don't ever do that), you'll find that the circle spacing above the wide bands is slightly different than the spacing above the narrow bands, just so the circle can be at the top of each "T".

Libby, that "double bubbles" pattern is continuous down each vertical band.  I didn't treat the blocks differently.  Most of the fabric was too bold to show any creative quilting.  It looks pretty good on the back, which is a solid lime green.

Archived