North Carolina Snow Day!!!!

I thought I would share a rare occurrence in my neck of the woods SNOW!!! Here in NC, we rarely get snow and when we do, it usually doesn't hang around for more than 2 or 3 days. While our snows can't compete with the western or northern snows, their a big deal for us, and we love watching the snow fall. This snow fall just might hang around a little longer than normal because of the arctic blast that follows the snow. That just means more quilting time for me. The scene in these pics can be viewed from both my sewing room and Millie's room. I'll get to experience a quilting day with beautiful scenery. ENJOY!!!

Jan 2017 Snow Day Pic 2.jpg

Jan 2017 Snow Day Pic 3.jpg

Jan 2017 Snow Day Pic 4.jpg

Jan 2017 Snow Day Pic.jpg

Carmen!  I'm just in Lake Wylie... 20 minutes away from you and we could see our grass!!  I just saw on the news how much you got up there!  Crazy !  I guess we were just "on the line"!!!  We need to hook up!  We are way too close to each other not to!!  Maybe a "play date" at Mary Jo's then lunch!!!! 

Sounds great Linda!! It would be great to talk to someone who loves quilting as much as I do. I've been piecing quilts for over 16 years, but I've only been quilting them myself for approximately 3+ years, and a year of that was spent renovating our previous house in order to sell it because I had no space to expand my quilting. The time that I have been quilting was done on a HDM or the APQS George. I took the plunge a few weeks ago and purchased a Millie, and I still can't believe she's in my house. It's been a bit of a learning curve for me and I'm trying to adjust to moving the machine instead of the fabric as well as having stitch regulation. I have watched Angela Huffman on Fons & Porter, and I'm trying to take her advise to just pick a few designs to master then add more as your skills improve. She also said that slow and steady wins the race. My problem is 1. I've never been known for my patience, and 2. I get bored doing the same design over and over. I'm currently trying to break these two issues because I know that I must if I want to be able to quilt as beautifully as the quilts I've seen done by others on this forum. My DH tells me all the time that what he's seen me do gets better the more that I do it, and I need to stop being so hard on myself because there's no such thing as perfection in quilting. He says that's what makes every quilt special and unique because it's the quilter's signature touch that makes it so special. Anyway, email me at cdfinger@att.net and we'll make arrangements.

Happy Quilting,

Carmen

Oh well, I was hoping I'd get a snow day from work tomorrow, but as always, the snow doesn't hang around here very long once it stops falling. Even though the temperature didn't get above 28 degrees today, the main roads are clear for the most part. The county government will be operating on a 2 hour delay tomorrow so I have to go to work, bummer!!!! 

Zeke, you may get to see the remaining remnants of our first winter storm, but we may get lucky and have another one between now and March. Our worst storms, when we have them, usually occur in February or early March. The most accumulation we've ever had in my lifetime is 18 inches of snow. The bad thing around here is we don't have the equipment to handle any major snow storm so when we do have a heavy snow, it basically cripples us. Our winters are usually mild so when we get any kind of accumulation, it's a big deal. Be safe during your travels and welcome to NC.

Happy Quilting,

Ive been snowbound for 3 days now. here in Virginia, We got about 10 inches here (all snow) Pieced and quilted this quilt on my Lucey, Making blocks for another quilt and getting ready to sew blocks together, and working on another quilt top as well, I really feel like Ive done a lot these last few days. I got a visit from my son and his family that doesn't live too far, but we just wanted to hang out. We shopped fabric at my house for dresses my daughter in law will make. Oh what fun we have had. I cant post a pic. It keeps saying error. 

No Libby, that's okay. I can't imagine how it feels to experience all the snow that people have to deal with out west or up north. In my neck of the woods, we get just enough to make us happy. After the snow and ice as well as the frigid temperatures we have been experiencing since last Friday, this coming weekend is going to feel like spring with temperatures reaching the low to mid 70's. While we would like to experience a little more snow than we do, we really don't want to be snowed in for really long periods of time. 

Happy Quilting,

Archived