Quilt Hangers

I am searching for a way to display some of my larger quilts in my quilt room.  Someone here mentioned curtain rods with the rings with hooks but after looking at them in a popular home store, I am worried that they either won't hold up a large quilt and/or they are sharp enough to tear a hole in my quilt.  Does anyone have any creative ideas of know of a website that offers something to hang up large quilts on a wall?

Thanks!

Vicki

As I'm normally a lurker I will tell you what I did. I got curtain rods and rings, instead of using the curtain bracks I used heavy duty Command Strips. I used several of the bronze colored ones. I placed several along the rod length. The rings that I used have clips on then. I can take the rod off the wall to make clipping on the quilt easer. I have hung full sized quilts on this system. Any way this worked for me. The heavy duty Command Strips are expensive though.

I used a 10 ft length of schedule 40 drain pipe smaller diameter. I put a block of 2x4 on the wall first {screwed on} at each end. Then I drilled holes in the pipe and screwed it to the 2x4 pieces. If wanted you can add more 2x4 s to make it more sturdy or to make separate sections. Carol

I used a adjustible curtain rod I started with the rings and clips but they were fiddly to put on. I use the small clamps now.

I can take my pole down and clamp my quilt on it the set it over the u-shaped coat hooks I have screwed to the wall ( these are into studs for stability) I have included a rather large image of the hook measures 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" and the clamps measure 1 3/4' x 3 1/2". Hope this makes sense  my rod can expand to 12' 

No automatic alt text available.

Please let us know what method you use. For me the Command Strips are guilt free way to do it. When we build our new living room my lath husband would cringe every time I got ready to hang something. He hated me making holes in "his living room. The funny thing is he did not mind if I made holes in walls of the old living room. So this is what I do, so he can't haunt me.                                              

Terry, what you did is exactly what I was thinking about doing, I like this big clamps that I use on my display frame and thought they would stay put against the wall with a quilt hanging from the, plus you can move them to fit any size quilt you decide to hang...I want to put this on a large plain wall at the end of my millie and want to change the quilts occasionally for inspiration...

2 minutes ago, Primitive1 said:

Terry, what you did is exactly what I was thinking about doing, I like this big clamps that I use on my display frame and thought they would stay put against the wall with a quilt hanging from the, plus you can move them to fit any size quilt you decide to hang...I want to put this on a large plain wall at the end of my millie and want to change the quilts occasionally for inspiration...

Vicki if you pray paint the brackets and the rod the same color as the wall it would be less conspicuous.

Archived