Advice Needed: To Quilt or Not Quilt!!!

I periodically quilt for a little lady. She called me a few days ago asking me to quilt a small 4 block wall hanging. The only difference is she says it's dirty, and she wants it quilted before washing it. I'm not sure I want to quilt a dirty quilt on my brand new Millie. I haven't seen the quilt so I'm not sure how dirty it is yet. I would really appreciate some feedback from my APQS family on this issue. Should I quilt it as is or could it damage my Millie? Should I tell her that it must be washed before I can quilt it? What would you do if you were asked to quilt a dirty quilt? Your comments and suggests are welcome. Thanks for your advice.

Happy Quilting,

Hummm...  I would tell her you need to see it first!  Her idea of dirty might just be some stains or something.  If it is REALLY dirty, I would not quilt it until washed.  She could hand was it in the sink and lay flat to dry.  Have her stitch around the outside of it first so it doesn't unravel. 

The backing fabric will not be "dirty" and neither will the batting.  As you quilt the quilt itself will be on the inside of the roll on the take up roller, and if you put it on the quilt roller, it will be rolled up on itself and very little will come in contact with the canvas on your machine.  Unless it us covered in cat pee or pet hair..how bad can it possibly be??  

Carmen:

Just as I would not wear an outfit that smelled of BO, I would not quilt a top that was dirty or smelled bad.  While it will not probably harm my machine, I for one do not want to touch something dirty and then rub my face.  All I can say if it smells of urine, I am out until it washed and smells like a summer breeze.  I would ask why she cannot wash it first, and what is the point of the reversed order?

Cagey

Now this is a "new one"!  I agree with the others, just what does she mean by dirty?   I wouldn't put anything on my machine that smelled, especially urine, smoke, etc.  You have to be careful of pet hair/fur too.  You never know what's on or in the fabric.  I don't think anything would hurt your machine but leftover scents/hair/fur could leach into your canvas and cause problems with future customers allergies.  This is why my pets are not allowed close to my sewing studio.

Archived