To Float or Not to Float...

Thanks Nancy for your quick reply.  I'm so afraid I'm going to let things get out of whack and have a big mess at the end, being so new to it.  So far all I've ever done is either an all over that I stitch as it go, basting the sides as I move down the quilt, or Stabilize the quilt with ditching it first, after basting down that section of the quilt and continue to the bottom, where I'll work my way back with the quilting in each area.  I had a little issue with my last quilt and in hindsight should have done some pin basting to prevent it as Mary Beth (Thank you Mary Beth!) has just responded with.  I was shown in my new machine orientation to just baste down the sides as you go when doing a panto, but I wouldn't be comfortable doing just that yet without some added stabilization...Nervous Nellie here :wacko:.

Aka

Kathy

Kathy, 

I guess my comment about asking my customer to add fabric to the back wasn't very clear.  It is standard to require that our customers provide at least 4 inches larger on all sides for their backing.  When I purchased my Snapper system and complained about the issue of my head hitting the snapper I was told that I should have my customers add 4 more inches which would be 8 inches on all sides.  I did not feel that was not right for my customers. 

I have sent a request to the tech's at APQS to answer the question about removing the bar.  That way we will all know for certain.  I will post their response when it is received.

Kathy,

I did want to help you to feel better in that we all get those "wonky" quilts now and then and just working through the issues are what give us experience, we know better what to do next time.  Again, just do what feels comfortable to you, I usually mark a line with blue tape on each side of the quilt on the bar I don't use so that I keep the quilt straight as I roll it forward, I also used a measuring tape that starts with 0 in the middle as a way to be sure I keep my sides straight on the frame as I advance but no longer seem to have it...hmmm,things seem to disappear when you move...but try different ways of loading your quilts and be sure to use what you are most comfortable with.  

Sorry, I'm late to the party here, getting back to all of you.  I think I missed Page 2 the last time I checked :o(.  

Anyway, I'm with you Nancy, I could not take the stress of customers quilts, as I sweat buckets with every new quilt.

Missy, I have the Leader Grips, similar to the red snappers and I can make do with 4" each end, but 5" or so is more comfortable on the top side to get the grip strip up out of the way, because it will catch on the machine.

Thanks Vicki  and Connie for the encouragement.  I have used tape on the unused roller, but what I haven't figure out is how to fix the alignment if it does go out of whack side to side.  When I roll the back on to the backing bar, it goes on straight, and comes off straight, but when I float a top, like the last one (Summer at the Lake, pictures posted here on the forum recently) I got a bit of movement, like it got pushed to the right a bit.  It was out a bit when I took it off the rack and so I lost a bit straightening it up to bind.  I think I should have done some pin basting before SID to keep it in place.  I found at one point, I had to release my previous edge basting so I wouldn't have a little pleat at the right hand edge, and then refasten it down.  I think my basting down got crooked a bit because the hoping foot caught on the seam joints and pushed them in to the quilt.  Anyway, lessons learned indeed!!!  I've looked at the tape measures with the zero centers, but wasn't sure where I would attach it to the quilting frame, as that appears to be what is done (hard to tell in pictures I've seen)?  Or, do you stitch it to the leaders?  

Thank you all!

Archived