Casters on table and wood floors

Do any of you who have Casters on your table legs, have your machine/table sitting on a wood, or faux wood floor?

If so, do you notice the table slightly moving or sliding at all even tho the casters are locked down?

I'm wanting to buy a set, and will be moving my machine to the basement where we are installing a floating floor system.

Sheri:  I don't have casters as such on my machine, but rather retractable wheels.  They can be pressed down when you want to move the machine, and retracted when the machine is moved to where you want to use it.  Mine are on a laminate floor, and work great.

I built my own set, but I believe you can buy them.  They are typically used on large stationary wood working tools such as table saws and the like.  I know Sears used to sell them, don't know whether they still do.  I imagine others offer them as well.  Check them out and see if they might not be a better choice than casters.  Jim 

sheri:

I have locking wheels on my Millie and it was on a hardwood floor with a concrete slab beneath that.  I didn't have an issue with it moving but did have a problem with vibration.  Dawn suggested to protect the floor and reduce the issue to put a rug under the wheels.  I cut 4 small carpet squares and placed under each wheel and it solved the issue.

Thanks Missy.

We will be installing on concrete, a floating faux wood floor. Thick wool like (but I don't know what it's made of actually)..padding, and the laminated flooring system also has an 1/8" pvc underlay, underneath the faux wood vinyl planks.  Keeping my fingers crossed this top of the line flooring does what it says it will!

Sheri:

If you want to ensure everything, I would suggest you call or email the flooring manufacture and tell them how much the complete machine weighs and the surface area of the casters.  This way the flooring manufacturer can tell you if there is anything you need to do to ensure the flooring will perform as expected.

Cagey

Cagey,  already done it.  It's the #1 BEST floating faux wood floor on the market anywhere in the US/EUROPE!

Hubby asked the question and he said if it sat weight wise...all alone in one 3ft square foot it "may" possibly, but doubtably have any issues.

He asked in the 12' will it weight over 500 lbs and we said no. He said Oh my Gosh, you're so totally fine!!!

Sheri, we are looking at installing wood floors in a large room we share as an art studio for my dh, my longarm and DSM and computer room.  Could you share the name of what you are putting down and where you are purchasing the product?  We'd love to take a look at it.   Thanks.

Sheri:

I am glad you already checked it out with the flooring manufacturer, so it will perform as designed.  If you do a search on the forum, I remember a discussion along the same lines as your, and someone used a heavy rubber squares like used in gyms and some other materials to help cut down on vibration when quilting.

Cagey

Another topic I'm glad to see...........I will have laminate flooring in my new sewing room...........I ordered the castors for my machine and will have them installed when the machine gets moved to the new house............I didn't think about vibration,  but as mentioned, small carpet squares or maybe some of that shelf liner fabric would help.........a friend just got a new sewing room built with laminate flooring, but never said anything about vibration or the machine moving..........I have a 12' table and Millenium.   

My machine is sitting on wood flooring made from a very high grade plywood. I love the flooring, it is easy to keep clean and although I have never had to move my longarm, I have moved everything else in the room. Real heavy furniture does leave dents in the wood if I don't place something under it to move it. The dents don't really detract from the look of the floor (to my eyes) because the look I wanted for the room was that of an old wood floor found in the old school floors that were around in my youth. The kind they threw some bits of eraser type rubber on the floors to clean them. Wish I knew what that red stuff actually was. Anyone know? It had a strange smell to it......

Anyway, I like my dents...

Archived