tarnished windmill quilt

Finished the tarnished windmill!

Here are a few pics...I'm not really happy with the outer narrow cream border, but worse case it can be picked out and something else stitched in its place. I'm too used to using templates to get smooth curves and with this small of a border, I couldn't use anything and had to free hand them.  Maybe just the section I chose to take the closeup had the worst quilting.

Full view tarnished windmillAnother close-up of tarnished windmillBorder treatments on tarnished windmill

I love all the quilting designs you've chosen.  The little pebbles around the center really draws your eye, as do many of the other designs.  I love the feathers.  The cream border is fine.  That design probably took forever to do.  Did you use chalk lines to divide the area or just totally freehand it?

Libby, I did mark the spine of the feathers in the cream border and it was actually fast to quilt out.  The outer one with the melonish curves I marked and stitched the straight lines with a ruler.  I did have a small oval template but it was so tiny it was hard to hold on to and stitch around.  I like my curves on that type of thing to be exact.  If I would do more freehanding of that I suppose I'd improve, but my customer is wanting to win as many ribbons as she can, so I feel I have to be perfect in my quilting.  She was happy with it though.

Archived