Moving the Freedom

We are moving the end of this month, which means I have to move my Freedom.  What experience do you all have in doing this?  I had it installed when I bought her 5 years ago, so I haven't ever set one up.  My husband is convinced we can do it ourselves but I don't want to mess anything up.  Also considering updating to Bliss when moving.  Any thoughts out there?  I so LOVE this forum where folks tell you what you need to know. 

3 hours ago, quiltedsunflower said:

We are moving the end of this month, which means I have to move my Freedom.  What experience do you all have in doing this?  I had it installed when I bought her 5 years ago, so I haven't ever set one up.  My husband is convinced we can do it ourselves but I don't want to mess anything up.  Also considering updating to Bliss when moving.  Any thoughts out there?  I so LOVE this forum where folks tell you what you need to know. 

Where are you moving to? I can come help if it is close. You can do it, it's really no big deal.

I'm wanting to know as well. I am currently looking and trying to decide if I want to purchase a longarm now. My husband & I are close to retirement, but he is currently working. We aren't sure at this point if his job will be for 6mo or a year. When his job is finished we will plan on moving closer to our children & grandkids. Right now his job has provided a home for us that has a huge finished basement (big enough for a long arm). My husband is supportive of me getting a long arm, but he doesn't want me to get one until we move. He is afraid it will be too hard to move. I'm hoping you all can help me convince him otherwise. Thanks for any info!

Sheri - it's one of the Mary Beth's from the Midwest, but I'm the one in Cameron.  We are moving to Piper, KS - about an hour southwest.  I certainly intend to stay a part of the Midwest Quilters Gals.   We need to be meeting again soon!!!!  I certainly had a good time when we got together last.  We will be much closer to my mom ( now in her 80's) and the grandkids.  We moved here with the job in 1980 and my husband retired last March, so I guess we go with the job. LOL.Our house isn't sold yet so we will have to be traveling back and forth for a while.  I'm heading out to buy a statue of St. Joseph to get buried in my yard this afternoon!

On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 7:31 PM, Susan Bergling said:

I'm wanting to know as well. I am currently looking and trying to decide if I want to purchase a longarm now. My husband & I are close to retirement, but he is currently working. We aren't sure at this point if his job will be for 6mo or a year. When his job is finished we will plan on moving closer to our children & grandkids. Right now his job has provided a home for us that has a huge finished basement (big enough for a long arm). My husband is supportive of me getting a long arm, but he doesn't want me to get one until we move. He is afraid it will be too hard to move. I'm hoping you all can help me convince him otherwise. Thanks for any info!

Where are you in Kansas? I am in Kansas City.

4 hours ago, quiltedsunflower said:

and to the other Mary Beth - you are certainly welcome to help.  We'll probably move the longarm sometime the first or second week of March.  Let me know what works for you and we'll see what we can work out.  THANK YOU!

Yes. Piper is not too far. Just let me know.

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 6:28 PM, Mary Beth said:

Where are you in Kansas? I am in Kansas City.

Yes. Piper is not too far. Just let me know.

Mary Beth, we are currently living in Elkhart which is in extreme SW Kansas. We are about 2 hours north of Amarillo, Tx. We will be moving to Wichita when we retire.

I moved my millie from VA to Dallas 3 years ago and just last summer moved it again back to VA!  It is a lot of work but if you have the directions from when you originally set it up you should be fine, if not, just take pictures and document what came down first to last and then reverse the order when you set it back up, just have to be sure to use a level so it travels well on the table again when you set it up...I think of it as a good time to recheck all of the bolts, and table for level....  I also saved the original box the head came in and used that to move it and I put it in my car so no-one would be rough with it. (You know how movers can be...), my rails and table however went into the moving van.

I agree with everyone.  APQS machines are very easy to move and assemble.  The directions are step by step.  Mine has a IQ on it too.  I did take lots of pictures and marked a lot of parts (A, B, C, front, back, left, right), which made it even easier to put back together.  

• 1 month later...

All moved and settled!  It was really very easy.  The rails and legs went in the moving truck but I hauled the head in the trunk of my car with lots of batting around it.  My husband said he thought we could move it any where because it was so easy - but trust me - not planning to move again any time soon.  The packing wasn't so bad.  It's the unpacking and putting away that is the hassle.  I need the other Mary Beth's organization method I think.  I was totally overwhelmed with the number of boxes and tubs I had that were marked "sewing room".  So far just the Freedom and my Bernina are set up.  Nothing else is unpacked.  One of these days..........

Archived