Frixion Pens

Has anyone use these to mark on a quilt?  And if you have has it been washed or in the sun after using?
 I'd really like to use it on the quilt I'm working on ( it's my own). I'm a big chicken!  I tried it on the edge and it worked great but I had a friend once who use either the purple or the blue marking pen and it came back after it laid on her bed for a while.  She always believed it was from the sun.
What say you?

I saw that Bonnie Hunter uses them when marking her piecing.  I don't know if she marks the actual quilt top. Heat makes the marks disappear, so I wouldn't think the sun would make the marks come back.  Freezing makes it come back. I've used it for piecing, but I'm like you, I'm chicken to mark the quilt top. 

Deb.

Hey Nancy, I read an article a while back about the frixion Pens. What I found was that while heat will make the ink disappear, cold temperatures brings it back. I too wanted to use them on a quilt but decided not to after reading the article. I'm sorry I can't remember where I seen the article. I've also read about them on this forum from others. I did use them to mark seams when sewing half square triangles for example, but stopped doing that because I didn't want to take a chance that the ink would show up later. 

Happy Quilting,

Be very cautious when using frixon pens. I did a test and yes the heat erases them but on dark fabric it leaves a halo a slight whitish residue. I did wash and then froze the fabric the mark did come back so the residue does stay on the fabric after it is ironed and laundered also. I live in Canada so if I was to transport a quilt min the winter the marks could come back....be cautious is all I can say

If it's your own quilt and you plan on washing it after quilting, AND you are NOT quilting with cotton threads, Washable Crayola works for marking.  Stay away from the oranges and reds - they seem to take a couple of washings to remove. 

The washable crayola markers work really well. I've heard you should be sure it says "new formula" on the box. i just finished a quilt where the center of each block had to be 

marked. I tried various colors (light tones) and they arll came out of the white fabrics. Be aware that you need to touch the fabric very lightly because they are markers and the

color will just dump on the fabric. Wish they offered the same formula in a fine tip pin!

I have used the frixon pens for marking my quilt top and I've had no problems.  Even if some of the marks came back due to cold temperatures you can simply reheat the area and it will disappear again.  

I also like the purple air erasable pens for marking my quilts.  Sometimes they disappear in a few hours or not until the next day.  If I heavily quilt the area the thread can prevent the air doing its thing but it does eventually go away.  I also like to use the chalk pencil holder but be careful some colors are much harder to remove.

On 2017-02-02 at 8:58 PM, T Row Studio said:

I did a test and yes the heat erases them but on dark fabric it leaves a halo a slight whitish residue.

This is my experience too, that's why I don't use Frixion Pens to mark the top. I like them when I have to mark something during sewing, like a diagonal line for half square triangles, but for quilting designs I stay away from them.

Online, I have found the FriXion marks will come back between 68 and 60 degrees F.  Pilot that makes the pens says the marks come back at 14C or 58F.  If the mark was very fine and you quilted exactly over all the marks, it would not be an issue if the marks came back.  Quilting over every mark is unfortunately not going to happen in my house.

Cagey

I used to use them but heard how the lines will come back and that would not be good on a quilt that you are mailing to someone, if it goes by air, it will be cold and the lines would be there when they open the box...:0  soooo....I have decided that chalk is the best idea, easy to remove with a fiber cloth after you quilt!

4 hours ago, lindasewsit said:

I would NOT use them!  I used it on a customer's quilt....A YEAR later, she called and said the lines came back!  It was not in a cold room.....  I steer away from them all together now!!!

Oh Linda That's terrible!  I will not be using them !  I didn't realize The heat only made it disappear.  

One of my friends, who is a smoker used the frixion pen to mark the lines. Used the iron to get rid of the lines and then put it on her cold porch to air out the smoke smell and the lines all came back. I wouldn't use them to mark a quilt ever after that experience. 

Charlotte

Archived