Win A Millie

So, do we give up? Or are you going to keep trying? APQS must know we love their machines. They must know that we lust for a Millie. They must know that we almost preach APQS on every street corner. For me....I'm in!!! I didn't know we were doing it again until today. I have been a little out of the loop. But I am taking my chances once again. 'Come on.....baby needs a new pair of shoes!"

I'm with you! Every day, that task pops up with the link there for the clicking!

I read a little in your blog. I like stories. I see you got out of business at some point. I decided last year that edge to edge is my deal. Just too much pressure for me at this age to even think about custom. This is supposed to be fun, isn't it? I have some regulars that piece beautifully, and whose backings are big enough and squared up! But too many are a royal pain in the patootie. (you know, that is an actual word that means what you think it does.) So I've begun to think about just quilting for the precious few - or just for myself. I'm too old to want to "work". I just want to play. On a Millie, of course.

28 minutes ago, Sharon Deming said:

I'm with you! Every day, that task pops up with the link there for the clicking!

I read a little in your blog. I like stories. I see you got out of business at some point.

Thank you for reading my blog. I need to write more. I love to write. I was in business when I purchased my Millie several years ago. I think it was 2004. By 2008 the economy was going south. Personally, I had to go to work. We needed the insurance. I was going to quilt for 2 women, just to be able to hang onto my Millie. Then, while at work, they called to tell me my mother had had a really bad stroke. I ran to be with her, and I called a customer to let her know what was happening, and that I would need to put her quilt to the back burner. She was fine with that, and said to take care of my mom. This was September, and the lady would need her quilt the following August for the Fair. No problem. About 1 month later, my mom was doing better, and I was able to get back to life as normal. I took two days off of work, just to start on that customer's quilt. I decided on the custom quilting, drew out my registration marks, etc., then loaded the quilt. I quilted the first border, then my phone rang. It was the daughter-in-law wanting to know where the quilt was. I let the call go to voicemail because I just wanted to work. When I took a break, and heard that message, I snapped. I unloaded the quilt, called my customer and told her I was coming over. I pushed the quilt through the door all the while telling her she knew that my mom had a stroke and I would not be able to get the quilt to her. She was upset, but not as much as I was. I went home and made the decision to sell everything. I didn't want to look at a quilt again. I was just sick. I love  quilts, but that was a very, very bad time for me. Like a dark place. My friends, like Donna Smith, Sheri Butler, Linda Card and  Claudia Pfeil, would contact me to meet them at MQS, and I would, but it was like an out of body experience. I loved my friends, but I felt so out of place. Eventually, I started looking at fabric and seeing quilts. Then I couldn't wait to create. I told my husband, very timidly, that I wanted to buy another machine. That I was a professional quilter. That I had been thoroughly trained. He agreed. What?! I thought I would have to beg. So I bought my used Freedom, then started slowly buying supplies. I have had my machine 1 year. I think I have only quilted 2 quilts or so. I have many ready to load, but it is slow going with my job and with this Fibromyalgia. Most of the time, after a full day of work, then dinner, I am ready to crash. I look forward to early retirement, so I can do what I like with my free time. I may quilt for others, but it will only be edge to edge. Customers do not want to pay what we should be charging for custom.

Quilting when you're exhausted is not fun, and not required. So, just make it okay (no frustration or guilt) to take off all your clothes and put on your pj's when you get home from work, microwave a Lean Cuisine, and veg-out. Your Freddie understands, your tops will still be there, and your mind and body will bless you. Your life of freedom from working for a living will come, and you will treasure every moment in the studio. Look forward to 6 Saturdays and a Sunday each week. Woo-hoo! Until then, I give you absolute, complete, unconditional, and profound permission to treat yourself with loving kindness. 

Hugs,

Mary Beth:

Sounds like you have a wonderful "part-time" career I will call it once you retire from Garmin.  With your skill set you can find more than enough quilts to quilt for extra money.  The woman you described in your post that was not receptive to your family matters can have their quilts done by somebody else.  When your customer quilts kick their butt in a show, they will know they screwed up.  Set your policies, make them known (family/health issues come first), and then live by them.  If a customer is not willing to abide by them, they can use someone else.  Customers have to plan accordingly to make sure they meet any deadlines for shows or competitions.  As a retiree, if they rush you, the price just doubled or possibly tripled.

My father repaired cars on the side all his life.  He had a standard policy.  If you tried to fix it prior to bringing it to him the cost was double, since he would first have to fix what the customer screwed up, and then find/address the real problem.  He never worked on Sunday, unless you were a priest, minister, rabbi, nun, church official, or someone down on their luck needing their car fixed.  If you were a bad neighbor/customer, your cars never seemed to fit into his repair schedule.  Everyone knew his rules, and followed them.  As he liked to say, "Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me."  

Your the artist, so practice your art as you desire, following your rules and teachings!

Cagey

• 2 months later...

I am loving reading all the personal experiences and encouragement you all give each other... what a wonderful group of people you are!

Mary Beth, I bought a 2001 Millie last year. I love her to bits, she sews a great stitch but I know there is a lot of room for upgrades and improvements. I feel grateful to have her at all, she has revolutionized my quilting life... but I still enter the APQS competition as a daily routine. One just never knows when your ship will come in! Winning that machine would be absolutely amazing! You can't win it unless you are in it, so we will keep entering!

I did enter this time, but only a few times. If they call me, you will hear me shout. The angels will sing. Rainbows will appear. You will hear harps playing. Life will be good. :D Actually, I have a Freedom and it works perfectly well, but I do miss the channel locks. Everyone told me I would not....but I do. I used them a lot.

My morning begins with a cup of coffee and then to the computer, mostly checking emails but then to APQS to register and read the forum. If there is not a contest going on, my morning ritual feels a little off. I miss it when it's not there and when it is, hoping with every entry that the next winner is going to be me.

On 2/9/2017 at 8:20 AM, Mary Beth said:

So, do we give up? Or are you going to keep trying? APQS must know we love their machines. They must know that we lust for a Millie. They must know that we almost preach APQS on every street corner. For me....I'm in!!! I didn't know we were doing it again until today. I have been a little out of the loop. But I am taking my chances once again. 'Come on.....baby needs a new pair of shoes!"

That's ok Mary Beth.  I have been registering for you.....Hmmmm....under my name of course.

umm...yep been entering....love Lucey....but I am getting older.......some of the features that come on the Millie would make life easier....and I could sell Lucey....and get me a computer so as to be able to sit in a rocking chair and take a break!!!!!  Tee Hee....

5 hours ago, sewingpup said:

umm...yep been entering....love Lucey....but I am getting older.......some of the features that come on the Millie would make life easier....and I could sell Lucey....and get me a computer so as to be able to sit in a rocking chair and take a break!!!!!  Tee Hee....

Curious?  Can you not add a computer to your Lucy?  Would like to know in case I ever get where I can get my new machine and I would love to have computer with it.  I would love to have a Lucy but if you can't add computer it might change my mind to go with the Milli.

Hi ...

Yep...you can.......I just would use the money from Lucey to get the computer.....I is retired......and my little nest egg has to last a while.....and a millie would be really nice as you can control the channel locks and other things from the front....Lucey has one manual channel lock....among other things...Millie is a bit heavier though.....

Archived