Quilts for APQS members

I'm just throwing this out there for thought.  I remember when we used to make quilts for members on here who are going through a "difficult time".  Call them friendship, prayer or we care quilts.  I was thinking about Rita, she would love a quilt from us.  She has been an APQS supporter forever.  Now the hard part, I work 9 hours a day with a 45 minute transit so I couldn't take the lead, but I could make a couple blocks and send them to someone to put the quilt together.  Sometimes we would put a personal message on the block etc.   Whom ever took the lead would name the color of the block, block pattern, etc or just make it scrappy.   Just a thought. 

Great, can someone volunteer to head this project for Rita?  Heidi maybe you can get Rita's address.  Someone we can send our finished blocks  too and who will finish the quilt. I can send a few dollars with my block to cover backing, batting, etc.  Recommend we take turns with the projects.  Marybeth, I remember that quilt, how is our niece?

Circle Lord would definitely be fine.  This is a quilt made from love, Rita would love it.   Betsy do you have a block design (what size) in mind and colors?  The block could be simple so all quilter's could make it in a timely manner.  We would need an address to mail the blocks too.  I see you are in MI, is Clarkston anywhere close to Port Huron?  I'm not getting any work done today, lol, my boss just walked by and smiled.  We need to get the word out,  if this is a go.  I have to get to work, will check back tomorrow. 

Connie, I am about an hour from Port Huron.

I have no idea about block size, design, or colors.  Does anyone know what Rita's favorite color is?  I am happy to assemble, quilt, and bind, but would be even happier if someone else could come up with the design for the quilt itself. :)

Since we do not know the style or the color choice, why don't we just decide on a block size and a date they need to be at a specific place, then we can get busy. A scrappy quilt is fun, and we could sign our own block so she would know who was thinking of her and contributed. This way, everyone can piece within their skill level and we don't need to worry about our fabrics clashing. We also need to think about the size of the quilt and the sashing, borders, backing and binding fabric.  

All good ideas Marybeth . So if we did a scrappy 10" block of your choice with  2" sashings   

30 blocks would be approx 60 x72 

20 blocks would be approx 50 x 60

how many would be interested in helping to do this quilt? 

i think if  each person made a 10 1/2" block  unfinished

and sent 3 - 2 1/2" x 10 1/2"" white on white sashing strips 

and a fat quarter that there would be enough fabric to do the backing  and the binding also. What does everybody Think does anybody else have any idea's?

Terry and Mary Beth, I like your idea of scrappy 10" (finished) blocks in the maker's choice of pattern, with white-on-white sashing.  Sashing pieces would be cut at 2.5" x 10.5".  (Just trying to be clear, not implying that anyone would not know this.)  I can easily piece the back from fat quarters, and make the binding from them, too. 

What is a reasonable time to expect the blocks to start pouring in?  I will be on vacation from March 14-23rd.

17 minutes ago, T Row Studio said:

Ok Ladies and gents lets make some blocks and get them to Betsy. 

If you are looking for some inspiration or ideas for 10" block check out this web site it has block broke down into sizes there is a section for 10" blocks    http://www.quilterscache.com/BlocksbySizeB.html    

Wow thanks for that link!   I'll be bookmarking it!

Archived