Thread Caught in Fly Wheel

I was letting my machine run to warm up and the thread got caught up in the fly wheel. What do I need to do to remove the thread?  I removed the fly wheel cover on the threaded side of the machine and tried turning the wheel to unwind the thread but the thread broke and now I don't have anything left to pull.  Help! 

I don't know which machine you have but this used to happen often before there were "fly wheel covers".   Nigel and Oma both gave you good info.  You can purchase flywheel covers from APQS or there used to be a quilter on here who made plexiglass covers but can't remember who.  It's probably the best purchase I made.

20 hours ago, RunningThreads said:

One more thing.  If it happens again take the left side cover off like Oma did, it's much easier to remove.

Nigel

What do you do if the thread wound itself around behind the fly wheel?  That is what i found when I took the cover off.  I can't even see the thread, but it is still coming out.  I was using 50wt So Fine.

Marian

i had to take the cover off mine to remember exactly what you can see in there.  I think the visibility may be better from the left side.  Here is a picture I just took showing the knife I use.  If it is caught in the groove just behind the flywheel the blade will slip most of the way in there as well.  If you can grab a tail with the tweezers and spray in some WD40 try pulling while reversing the flywheel.  

Nigel

IMG_0055.JPG

9 hours ago, Gator said:

I don't know which machine you have but this used to happen often before there were "fly wheel covers".   Nigel and Oma both gave you good info.  You can purchase flywheel covers from APQS or there used to be a quilter on here who made plexiglass covers but can't remember who.  It's probably the best purchase I made.

I'm thinking that clear cover was offered by "Zeke" ?  I just remember an old post I read...if I'm remembering correctly.  I was warned about this happening when I went to my machine orientation.  So glad I was, as I was leaving the thread in the take up lever prior to that when running the machine after oiling the bobbin race.  I think I was lucky!

Here you go.  If you go to the online store here on the website and search "Flywheel Cover" it will come up.

Price
Your Price:  
$15.00
Availability: spacer.gif
In Stock
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
spacer.gif

spacer.gif
Quantity
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
Description
Hartley Flywheel Cover for thread path side of the machine
Adhesive flywheel cover produced by Hartley Manufacturing specifically for APQS machines. Place the cover over the fly wheel on the thread path side of your machine to keep thread from catching on the flywheel and snarling inside the sewing head. NOTE: Late model machines already have a flywheel cover in place.

Archived