Skipped stitches

First, you need to determine if you're seeing "skipped" stiches or "long" stitches, as they have different causes.  True skipped stitches have needle holes underneath the long stitches - the needle has gone down through the sandwich but failed to catch the bobbin thread and make the stitch.  Long stitches are an encoder issue - there are no needle holes under the long pieces of thread.

For long stitches, you can evaluate which encoder is causing the issue by testing on a practice sandwich - stitch side-to-side for a while, then front-to-back for a while.  Side-to-side stitching uses the carriage encoder, at the back of the machine.  Front-to-back stitching used the encoder on the head axle.  You can check that your encoder wheel is making good contact with your machine wheels - if it's not, the electronics inside the head aren't being told that the machine has moved, hence the long stitches.  If you get long stitches in both directions, you may have a problem in some of your wiring or with the circuit boards inside the machine.  Time to call AP service!

For skipped stitches, check that your needle isn't in backwards, is inserted all the way up in the needle bar, isn't turned too far from front.  If all those check out, it may be a timing issue.  Go through the steps in the manual for checking the timing.

Actually, the first thing to do is ask yourself, "What did I just change?" to see if you can narrow down what might have caused the problem to begin with....

I've been having this problem too.  But it only seems to happen every so often.  I adjusted my encoder wheels and my hopping foot was out of place both helped but then it happened again yesterday.  Need to go check the quilt to see if it's long or skipped stitches.  Thanks Barb

So I checked where it happened yesterday and cant see any needle holes, so I rechecked my encoder wheels, they seem fine.    Then as I was stitching a line from right to left I got skipped stitches, I looked to see if there are needle holes and there are.  Ughh.  This happened twice more, every time is when I am stitching left to right in a straight line.  Is it my timing, what simpler things can I check?  I'll double check my needle tomorrow morning.

Archived