I am too bored

5 hours ago, quilterkp said:

Sine you are bored, I am going to ask you a question.  When buying your current machine, why did you opt for the Freedom over the Millie?

Well, I would love to have a new Millie, and I did back in 2004 when I purchased my first machine. I burned out and sold the machine and all of my accessories. Then after a few years, I started missing quilting. I almost purchase a new Millie, again....but am so happy I did not. I do not want to quilt for customers. I only want to quilt for me. If I had purchased a new machine, then I would have felt pressure to quilt for others just to pay for it. As it is, I found a used Freedom on the APQS website, for about half the price of the new Millie. I had found a used Millie on Craigslist that my husband was trying to talk me into,  but it did not have Bliss, and I really wanted Bliss. I ended up with the Freedom. Now, that being said, everyone said I would not miss the channel locks, but I do. I used them all the time. I might add, that since I bought this machine from the factory, it was a refurbished machine, and I felt confident that the folks at APQS had gone over it with a fine tooth comb.  No more than I quilt, I am happy with the used Freedom. I could easily quilt for customers on this machine, because it is almost a Millie, but I really hope I do not come to that.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

... I might add, that since I bought this machine from the factory, it was a refurbished machine, and I felt confident that the folks at APQS had gone over it with a fine tooth comb.  No more than I quilt, I am happy with the used Freedom. I could easily quilt for customers on this machine, because it is almost a Millie, but I really hope I do not come to that.

I will have to buy a used machine and am pondering between the Millie and the Freedom.  I will have to save up for a while, but hope to make a good choice.  Since I have never longarm quilted, I have no idea if I would use channel locks or not.  Something that would be helpful would be a guide that shows what years new features were added.  Wonder if APQS has something like that...

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 7:31 PM, Quilting Heidi said:

Mary Beth,

Sorry your shoulder is giving you fits, that is no fun.  My right shoulder flairs up now and again but dare I say right now it isn't bad?  My foot is still a major problem.  I have arthritis in my big toe and it has lost about 90% of its mobility.  I have been really pushing myself to get out and walk.  Some days I can't do more than a mile and others I can make it 3 - 3 1/2.  I don't beat myself up if I can't do more, I just keep moving.  I keep telling myself Landon and Scarlett need me to be able to move.  This aging thing is no fun!

Do you have gout? Women do get it too. My late husband would get gout in his big toe. It hurt so bad and impeded his walking.

8 hours ago, iquiltit said:

Do you have gout? Women do get it too. My late husband would get gout in his big toe. It hurt so bad and impeded his walking.

I have had all kinds of blood  work completed. I don't even feel the needles any more. I have had this pain all over for years. Every time I would go to the doctor, I had pain in a different body part. I have splints and braces for every part of my body, back, wrists, elbow, knees and ankles. My kids come to me to borrow braces when they strain something. Anyway. These doctors do not take the time to put everything together and say that I probably had a related problem going on. Every time I went to the doctor, they would run a test, then the nurse would call and say "everything is fine". One day I had it! When the nurse called with her little sing-song voice and said, "Everything is fine!" I said, "Really? Everything is fine? I still hurt! What does the doctor want me to do next?" She had no clue what to say. She stumbled around and said the doctor had not notes on the next step. I became offensive and she said, "Well you do have some inflammation, but it is not significant." Really?! I said, "It is to me! I cannot walk!!" She told me they could send me to a rheumatologist. I said do it. They didn't even tell me they had referred me to a new doctor. I went back to work, and about 2 weeks later I was down again. That very day, I got a letter in the mail, from a rheumatologist, telling me they were waiting to hear from me for an appointment. Grrrr!!! I made an appointment, and went to them. I had been in his office for about 5 minutes and he diagnosed me with Fibromyalgia, based on the pressure points. I think you need to have 12 or so tender points and I had many more than that. Now I am back to my regular doctor who acts like they have no idea how to treat me. I need to change doctors, but that is not easy to do. Just trying to find another one that cares about their patients, and are not ruled by the insurance company is tough. Also, most doctors offices have many doctors in one office. They run you in and out like cattle, and you become a number. It is so frustrating. Anyway, they have done x-rays and an  MRI and know that I have arthritis in my shoulders, neck and back. I think the combination of arthritis and fibromyalgia are just a little too much to handle sometimes. I agree, with what others have said. I have both legs. I am not crippled, until those days when I cannot walk, and my legs and arms hurt so back I cannot push off my chair or bed to get up. Then I feel pretty helpless. My husband had his doubts about fibro, until he took me to a boat show one Saturday, and after spending several hours there, I was not able to walk for about 4 days afterward. So much pain. He is a believer now, and probably will not expect me to do that again. The doctor has ruled out most every other disease or problem. They did say I tested positive for an auto immune disease, but pinpointing the right one, is difficult.

Mary Beth...my doctor gives me 50mg of Tramadol once a day for the arthretis in my feet.  It helps but does not take all the pain away.  My feet swell up so bad I can't walk either.  The Tramadol allows me to do more than without it but I've been told I'm headed for a wheel chair....my goal is to make that a long time coming.  When I get to the point where I can't walk or stand I just sit down and whatever it is I was going to do just gets put off until another day.  Getting older is not for sissies is what my doctor told me one time.  Hang in there girl...we're right there with you.

12 minutes ago, mlsa3 said:

Mary Beth...my doctor gives me 50mg of Tramadol once a day for the arthretis in my feet.  It helps but does not take all the pain away.  My feet swell up so bad I can't walk either.  The Tramadol allows me to do more than without it but I've been told I'm headed for a wheel chair....my goal is to make that a long time coming.  When I get to the point where I can't walk or stand I just sit down and whatever it is I was going to do just gets put off until another day.  Getting older is not for sissies is what my doctor told me one time.  Hang in there girl...we're right there with you.

Thanks David. I have tried Tramadol. I have several meds I have tried. I hate the side effects. I have decided to try holistic methods, until they do not work at all, then not sure where to go. I cannot imagine medical marijuana, but I think someday I may welcome it. But not today  :blink:

On 3/3/2017 at 11:42 AM, dlnewell said:

Vicki,

I thought you had moved to Plano TX.  Did you move back to VA? Mary Beth, sorry to hear about your flare up of body pains...

Yes Debbie, we moved there and stayed about 3 years. My husband was able to transfer back to the VA area with his job and work out of the Tyson's office.  We rented our home here while we were gone and so were able to come back to the same house.  It is great being back with my family and grandchildren and old friends although I did make new quilty friends in TX and miss them a lot too...

On 3/3/2017 at 10:20 PM, iquiltit said:

No definitely not gout.  Mine all started because of the sciatic nerve.  It was inflamed for at least 4 months and it impacted my right foot really badly.  Apparently I injured my big toe at some point in my life and I have arthritis in that joint really bad.  They said because my big toe joint has lost 90% of it's mobility I have to compensate the way I walk.  You either end up walking on the inside or outside of your foot.  I clearly walk on the outside.  I've been trying to think about it when I walk and not do that.  The pain can be anywhere from my ankle on down.  

On 3/4/2017 at 4:55 AM, Mary Beth said:

Thanks David. I have tried Tramadol. I have several meds I have tried. I hate the side effects. I have decided to try holistic methods, until they do not work at all, then not sure where to go. I cannot imagine medical marijuana, but I think someday I may welcome it. But not today  :blink:

O Mary Beth, my husband takes Tramadol, everyday quite a bit of it.  So one day my back was just in a frenzy, nothing was helping.  He knows pain pills and I don't mix well.  But hating seeing me in such pain.  I resisted for awhile but finally he convinced me to take a half of one.   :blink: What a mistake that was. Never again!  We laugh about it now because I'm such a wimp, but people are all so different, he can't function without it , I can't function with it!

Hi all,

well....I was bored too....so I got another dog...a 6 1/2 year old retired cairn terrier show dog....he is a hoot....although the first two weeks I had been tearing my hair out because he was so anxious....he had been spending most of his days in a kennel with 12 other dogs....and would pace no stop around the house...couldn't figure out stairs, scared of everything....really was wondering if I could handle him...now it has been 5 weeks....and he is wanting to go on walks...is zipping up and down the stairs, is barking at everything that moves outside his window, and keeps rearranging his toys all over the house......when I was walking him one day, I forgot about the ice which was underneath a new batch of snow...and dang...down I went...a few days later after an MRI, I learned I partially tore my rotator cuff and have bone spurs...doc said...I can do surgery IF YOU WANT...hughhhh?  anyway, I decided it wait a few weeks to see if it will get better on it's own.....it is a bit better....but who knows what another couple of weeks will do.....anyway...NO time for quilting....not even piecing...not even looking at patterns.....yikes.....so Sorry MaryBeth about your arm...I don't know if you want to consider getting a dog or not....they sure eat up your time....but are very fun!  Lin

15 minutes ago, sewingpup said:

Hi all,

well....I was bored too....so I got another dog...a 6 1/2 year old retired cairn terrier show dog....he is a hoot....although the first two weeks I had been tearing my hair out because he was so anxious....he had been spending most of his days in a kennel with 12 other dogs....and would pace no stop around the house...couldn't figure out stairs, scared of everything....really was wondering if I could handle him...now it has been 5 weeks....and he is wanting to go on walks...is zipping up and down the stairs, is barking at everything that moves outside his window, and keeps rearranging his toys all over the house......when I was walking him one day, I forgot about the ice which was underneath a new batch of snow...and dang...down I went...a few days later after an MRI, I learned I partially tore my rotator cuff and have bone spurs...doc said...I can do surgery IF YOU WANT...hughhhh?  anyway, I decided it wait a few weeks to see if it will get better on it's own.....it is a bit better....but who knows what another couple of weeks will do.....anyway...NO time for quilting....not even piecing...not even looking at patterns.....yikes.....so Sorry MaryBeth about your arm...I don't know if you want to consider getting a dog or not....they sure eat up your time....but are very fun!  Lin

Oh my gosh....I have a Chocolate Lab. She is 4 years old and everyone has told me at every  birthday that she will calm down next year. I am still waiting. We could not take another dog. We love her to pieces, probably treat her more like a baby than a dog, and cannot imagine our lives without her. When I am down with a Fibro Flair-up, this dog wants to go outside and back in 37 times a day. I think she knows I cannot walk :blink:

Just now, Busy Quilting said:

Mary Beth  have you looked into  what you eat. Cutting out all grains and processed foods is supposed to be helpful for autoimmune disease.  I have been low carb healthy fatfor two years now and am feeling great.

I have thought about this. We did cut out processed foods. which is really hard. And I tried going grain free, even read Grain Brain and I have another book. I cannot seem to stop the grains. I love to make homemade bread. I have read a lot about Fibro, and eating differently, and everything I have read said that there is not correlation between the two. I don't know. I need to try it again. Personally, I think it has something to do with GMOs, but I am no scientist....it just makes sense to me. When I tried, eating right, I still had terrible pain, but I probably need to try it again for longer.

I make a pretty good banana bread made with coconut flour! Love my morning muesli but it is based on nuts, coconut and seeds.  We try and eat organic as well so avoid anything GMO.  No vegetable oils, soy products etc.  Bacon, Eggs and butter make a great breakfast.  Meat is grass fed as much as possible too.

1 hour ago, quilterkp said:

Mary Beth, my friend takes amitriptyline. It really helps her.  She also takes Tylenol 3 and Cymbalta for pain.

I take Tylenol 3 and Cyclobenzaprene. I have tried Cymbalta and Amitriptyline, but honestly, it makes me feel terrible. I have a hard time driving to work when I take this stuff. I don't think meds should make you feel as bad as the disease. I am told if I take for a period of time, they should help. If they do not help, you have to try to get off them without having a stroke or a heart attack. I just can't do it. It is not a cure, it is to reduce the symptoms. I am going to try to live with this until I just cannot do it any long.

1 minute ago, Busy Quilting said:

I make a pretty good banana bread made with coconut flour! Love my morning muesli but it is based on nuts, coconut and seeds.  We try and eat organic as well so avoid anything GMO.  No vegetable oils, soy products etc.  Bacon, Eggs and butter make a great breakfast.  Meat is grass fed as much as possible too.

Yes, we buy a side of beef from a farmer that has grass fed cattle. I have kind of fell off the wagon, but need to get back to it.

Mary Beth

I am with you on the meds for fibro....the side affects were very effective....I felt them right away...the supposed benefits....not so much...so I am reluctant to even try any...the one, I forgot which...said it was a wonderful treatment for fibro...well, I gained 8 pounds in three weeks...that wasn't a good idea.....so I am trying to get more exercise as recommended and  yep...the new dog really helps with that....and I have been trying to sllloooowwwwlllyyyy cut down on carbs and lose some weight....It has taken me about 10 years....but as of this morning I have lost 63 pounds.....I told my docs I wasn't willing to try anything unless it was something I am willing to do the rest of my life.....I actually find a lot of sweets too sweet now and have gotten away from most deep fried foods...can't seem to give up good dark chocolate and onion rings.......but if I live long enough....like to 99, I should be at goal weight at this pace....took the dog to obedience training last night...he is not very good at it or as the trainer says...mom isn't very good at it....but we spend an hour trotting around the arena...so at least I am getting the exercise part of it....oh...I haven't been quilting at all the last several weeks....need to do that....the dog will have to learn how to operate my foot pedal on the sit down machine...he probably will freak when Lucey starts her purring and beeping.....Lin

I start a warm water pilates class at the end of this month. I am really kind of excited, except for putting on a swimsuit. I am hoping that will help keep me moving and not feeling so stiff. I just had toast for breakfast, there went the carbs for today :huh:

ooohhh!  Warm water exercise.....I did that and it help!!!   It was a hassle to get there and do the showering and changing...but hey...that is exercise too....seriously, when I had a really bad fibro flare...that warm water got me going again....I remember the PT I was working with tell me that if everything was too sore to even do my pool exercises...to just stand in the deep end up to my neck and "jiggle"  which made me "giggle" and seriously...it did help....those pools sure do eat up the swimsuits though.....I used to go to the sales and buy up anything that was on sale that fit...color or style did not matter.....oh...and one piece of toast for breakfast isn't too big of a deal....I used to try and limit my servings of carbs to one a meal and if I hit a total of 5 servings for the day....it was good!  still trying to get increase my servings of veggies....I dunno know why that is so hard....maybe because fast food and most restaurants do not serve them up nicely?

Archived