Questions about computerized quilting

I am thinking about investing in either Intelli-quilter or Quilt Path - but I want to know more about how that looks in real life.  I work during the day and quilt for others at night and weekends.  Business is booming and I can hardly keep up.  My first question is whether  computerized quilting is faster (than pantos or freehand) or just better.  I'm pretty good at pantos and freehand work, but wonder if a computerized system would be more efficient.  Another idea I have is to invest in an older longarm and put a computer system on it, with the idea that it could be cranking out the E2E designs while I did custom work on my Millie.  Is that feasible?  How much supervision does a computerized system need? Can I really walk away while it's quilting?  Thanks in advance for your help!

Carol

I have IQ on my Millie and love it. For edge to edge designs I set it up, start the stitching and walk away to do other things. IQ stops and beeps if it breaks a thread, runs in to an obstruction or reaches the end of the row. I think it would be very feasible for you if you have enough business to support a second machine. I would love to have a second machine that I could use for custom work!

I have the IQ on my 2009 Millie.  It works great and yes you can walk away.  That's the advantage.  It will beep if the thread breaks, bobbin runs out, or any other problem.  You still have to set up your panto on the IQ and advance the quilt.  It sews fairly fast.  You certainly could get another machine for pantos and do custom manually on another machine.  IQ has a basic version that only does edge to edge if you wanted a computer for that only.   I haven't worked with Quilt Path but it's great too.  The difference between the two systems is what bells and whistles do you want.  One is Windows based and the other is an Engineering Program based.

Carol

The computer doesn't stitch as fast as you probably do but it doesn't stop while you answer the phone, wind bobbins or prepare the next quilt for loading.  I know of one very busy quilter who runs four machines simultaneously, all APQS with IQ.  Before I retired Brenda would do the custom on her machine and have the IQ doing pantographs behind her.  Her output increased by about 50% and now that I do most of the computerized work we can easily double the output.  Another benefit is with the second machine you can offer one or two week turn around on the pantographs.  If you are busy then a second hand machine with a computer will pay for itself fairly quick.

Just my two cents worth

Nigel

Archived