Is there a video for how to replace a hook assembly?

Lemon Tree Tami

So it looks like I need to replace my bobbin hook assembly. Last year I paid a tech to take a look at my Freddie to fix the thread shredding that I kept having when stitching from R to L. Turns out that I must have broken a needle that scarred the bobbin hook assembly. He took a file and gently filed it but the burrs were fairly deep. Since I'm constantly dealing with thread breaks when I stitch certain patterns that like to go from R to L (even when it's only a short 10" or so) I've decided that it's time to replace the entire hook assembly and start with new. (If the tech had the part last year I would have paid for it and have been done with it.) What I want to know is if there is a video that shows how to replace this. Also, does this mean that I'll have to retime the machine with the new part? Because my stitches are gorgeous and I don't want to mess with that if I can help it. Thanks. :-)

Tami, there are videos on apqs.com about retiming - I'll have to look to see if there's something specific on replacing a hook assembly.  You can always call the toll free line and ask for the Service Dept.  They can give you lots of guidance on what's happening with your system and why.  They can also arrange to get you the replacement hook assembly.  And yes, you WILL have to retime after putting on the new assembly, but your stitches should still be beautiful - and you won't have to deal with thread breakage!  Before you take off your current assembly, take off your needle plate and get familiar with how the needle and the hook interact - it will help you understand what you're doing when you retime for the new part.

Tami

You might check with you local DSM sewing machine dealer, as ask if they can assist you if you are concerned about taking on the job.  I know where I bought my Brother DSM, that the repair guy fixes the local quilt stores long arms.  You probably can do the entire job yourself, but it is nice to know if you run into problems you have a local person who can help you out.  Best of luck to you.

Cagey

Tami:  Before you get too deep into hook replacement, check the adjustments.  Especially the black "finger" that holds the bobbin basket in place.  (you might also want to check the "finger" for burrs)  If it is burred, or set too deep into the retainer slot, it could be causing thread breakage.  You want to set it in just far enough to secure the basket.  The gap between the "finger" and the body of the basket allows the thread to pass when the hook is making the stitch.  The more gap, the better.

Changing the hook isn't that difficult.  It's simply one step further than timing your machine (actually taking the hook off, and putting it back on) and you're well served knowing how, and being able, to time your machine.  Good luck.  Jim

Barb, Cagey, Nigel and Jim .. thank you so much for the words of encouragement and ideas for the videos. I think that once the new hook assembly gets here that I'll wait until my quilt queue is short so that I don't get frustrated if it takes me a few days to get it right. Yes, Jim, I do agree that timing my machine is a skill that I need to have. I've just been a bit afraid of messing up. :-)

Archived