Tried Three Longarms

The past few days I have been to a road show and a quilt show.  Got the opportunity to try out a Gammill, an Innova and APQS.  Hated the Gammill and it did not have pretty stitches.  I also thought it was ugly -- I know that in the scheme of things that isn't so important, but if it was a tie breaker....  The Innova was OK.  It's stitches were better than the Gammill, but they had a good bit of trouble with it and the bobbin fell out.  I LOVED the APQS machines.  I will say that from the little bit I could tell, the Gammill appears to have the best computer quilting hookup.   It's screen was larger, and there were tons of gorgeous designs.   However, at this point, I am not planning to get a computer with my machine.   Now, I just have to wait for my house to be paid off, so I can get the longarm!  It is going to be so hard waiting!!!

Im a big stick in the mud, I guess. No cumputer for me. Love FMQ the best, Don't even use my pantographs, Maybe one day (my husband says) Ill want one. But for now My Lucey is soooooo perfect. I love APQS! I know I made the right decision.

13 hours ago, quilterkp said:

Which is better - Quilt Path or IntelliQuilter?

Probably just a preference, but I know a lot of people who have used both and prefer the Intelliquilter. I am old school, no computer, but if I did get one, it would be intelliquilter. 

Welcome to the APQS family.   Great job road testing the different machines.  I've had my current APQS Millie since 2009 and she keeps on purring.  I was feather challenged so after a couple years I added the Intelliquilter to  her.   I think it is really beneficial to learn how to do drive your machine (free hand)  before adding a computer.  Just my opinion.  As for which computer,  Quilt Path and Intelliquilter (IQ) are both great systems.  It all depends on what "bells and whistles you want" your computer to do.   I choose the IQ for my machine because Quilt Path wasn't available at the time. 

2 hours ago, Gator said:

Welcome to the APQS family.   Great job road testing the different machines.  I've had my current APQS Millie since 2009 and she keeps on purring.  I was feather challenged so after a couple years I added the Intelliquilter to  her.   I think it is really beneficial to learn how to do drive your machine (free hand)  before adding a computer.  Just my opinion.  As for which computer,  Quilt Path and Intelliquilter (IQ) are both great systems.  It all depends on what "bells and whistles you want" your computer to do.   I choose the IQ for my machine because Quilt Path wasn't available at the time. 

I agree Connie. There is so much to learn about quilting, designs, how a quilt speaks to you about how it wants to be quilted. I just think there is so much to learn. Then go computerized.

I chose IntelliQuilter over Quilt Path because I wanted to have a no-sew zone feature which I have used quite a bit. At the time of purchase Quilt Path didn't have that feature and I'm not sure if they've come out with it yet or not. Also, for me, I loved being able to switch from computerized to FMQ with the push of a button to raise/lower the drive motors as opposed to walking around the back of the machine to release the belts. Both of those features made the IQ top for me. But it's truly a personal preference. 

18 hours ago, quilterkp said:

Which is better - Quilt Path or IntelliQuilter?

I researched them all before I got mine computerized.  I was even willing to upgrade to a whole new machine if need be.  After looking at the APQS with Quilt Path (hated it) and the Gammil Statler Stitcher (waaay too complicated for basic stuff), I went to a quilt show and played with the IQ (kind of difficult at a quilt show). 

Pros and Cons --

Gammil - Pro - can hook your screen up to a TV and have as large a monitor as you want.

Gammil Cons - Statler stitcher wasn't very user friendly and not intuitive for me;  The Gammil machine had a definite shimmy or vibration to it that I didn't like.  The computer was also hard-wired to the quilting machine which caused heavy drag due to the additional cords.  Very cumbersome.  I've heard from several people that Gammil does not do a good job with after the sale support and training.

APQS -  Cons - The Quilt Path was way too basic and didn't have the ability to do any of the custom things I was interested in (like no-sew zones around applique and embroidery, customizing the designs on the fly to fit a particularly wonky space, etc.)

APQS - Pro - I didn't see any pro's to the Quilt Path system.  Keep in mind that when I was conducting my research it was several years ago and I'm sure that there have been many improvements to all of the systems.  After the sale support is supposed to be very good.

IQ - Cons - it was a little more expensive than the Quilt Path, but about the same as the Statler Stitcher.  Expensive no matter which one you go with.  Organization of designs and design library is limited to one file deep (meaning no subfolders or sub-sub folders -- you can have as many primary folders as you want, but that is a bit cumbersome and unruly for me). 

IQ - Pros - works with nearly any machine.  I have an older APQS and it works with it just fine.  Updates are free for the life of your system.  Two types of systems to choose from (now there's more options).  Can remove from quilting machine and work out designs sitting on the couch.  Has a mirror program (called Stiq) that you can load on your PC which will duplicate what is on your IQ and then sync between your PC and the IQ which is a very handy feature (I don't have it yet, but I'm thinking about it).

After all my research, I went with the Intelliquilter and am soooooo glad that I did.  I can't believe how much I can do and how many improvements they have made to update the system in just the last few years.  Zoltan is very responsive to email and suggestions for upgrades.  He's really good to work with.  I love love love my IQ.  Yes it takes time to program in your quilt, but I think that would be the case on any system. 

If you are in the southern California area and want to play with an IQ system, let me know.  I'll make tea and cookies and we can play until your heart is content.  Don't worry, I'm not going to sell anything to you -- not in that business.  I just believe in trying before you decide to buy.  : )

Go to the IntelliQuilter website and look at their tutorial videos. That'll give you an idea of how the program functions. I think that Quilt Path also has some videos on YouTube. That way you can be familiar with what both systems do before you go to try either of them out. But you can always decide later down the road. Not necessary on an APQS to decide up front. 

Lora, there's lots of quilters around you with APQS and IQ and Quilt Path, most would love to let you drive their machines and tell you the pros and cons.  I'm up in Michigan (your more then welcome to come visit,  it's really cold now) but I know North Carolina has a lot of members from our group.  Check out the dealers listed here in SC, they will probably be able to help you too.

Archived