Stupid Mistake

Well, have you ever done something so stupid you just wanted to scream?  I did today. 

I loaded a quilt on the frame and everything was going great.  Of course the design was very intricate, but was turning out beautifully, so I was very pleased.  That was until I discovered my blunder.  I about two thirds of the way through the quilt when I come across the seam where the backing was pieced together.  Guess what!  I put the backing on UPSIDE DOWN.  Yup, the seam was facing the outside of the quilt instead of the batting side.  Ugh. 

Lucky for me the backing was a batik and you really couldn't tell one side from the other.  I took it apart and then restitched it by hand.  It took forever, but it sure beat the alternative of having to rip out hours of stitching. 

I should have had a V-8! 

Oh man, I can just imagine the sick feeling when discovering that.  Glad you were able to salvage your backing without removing the quilting you'd done, which would have been a horrendous job. Note to self, add to checklist when loading!  

Lora:  The fact that you couldn't tell the difference which side of the backing was the "good" side is why you mounted it wrong.  It happened to me once with a fabric that looked the same on both sides.   In the future be careful with "two" sided backs.  BTW, mine was a charity quilt, and I just left it that way.  Jim

On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 4:58 AM, piecrust said:

Be warned: this will not be the last time you do it either.

Well, that is certainly encouraging.  :P  lol

Jim, this is also a charity quilt, but I just didn't feel right leaving it wrong.  .... though I have to admit the idea did briefly cross my mind. ... very briefly.

So this next quilt from the same customer also has a batik backing.  I looked at it reeeeeealy closely and you know what!?  SHE put the backing together with the wrong sides out.  Guess she wanted the backing to be slightly muted instead of as vibrant as the right side of the fabric.  Whew!  at least now I know how I could have made such a drastic mistake on the first quilt.  I've double and triple checked the backing on this one to make sure I don't have any more issue.  It has vertical and horizontal seams, so I definitely cannot get this one wrong. 

Well, seeing as though I haven't yet made that particular mistake, I will be on the look out for it.  I think I have made the rest of them though

such as loading the backing the wrong way and coming up short of backing on the end of the quilt.  That is lots of fun as well.  It err is human!

Archived