Needle holes

This is one of the reasons I supply the batting for all the quilts I do.  When I supply it, I at least know what it is and how to deal with it.  While I use wool most of the time now (it does not beard), back when I was using cotton blend, I'd use a black batting for quilts with red backs.  The black bearding is much less offensive on red.  Jim

Okay, stupid question of the day..... how can you tell which side of the batting is the right side and goes face up on your backing?  I'm constantly confused by this.  Is it the smoother side or the not smoother side?  I've looked at various threads and websites and they all say pretty much the same thing...."look at the direction of the needling."  I don't know which direction the batting was needled.  Am I missing something seriously easy to detect?  If so, please please share your wisdom with me.  Thanks ever so much.

On warm and natural the backing side is always on the inside.  I mean on the folded side.  If you take it off the bolt or out of the package the backing side is going to be on the inside fold.  If your careful you can actually pull back the scrim and see it.  Hopefully this makes sense, because I'm sick and my head feels like it's going to pop.  Zeke.  

Yes, like Zeke said.. with W&N the side that goes down on the backing is always on the inside of the folded batting.  Another way i figure it is 'dirty' side up...which means anything that looks rough or have cotton particles goes up with the quilt top laying on it... hope this makes sense

Lora:  I've only really used Hobbs and Pellan cotton/poly blend battings, so my experience is limited to them.  Neither have a "scrim" on them.  They are needle punched which means the batting is punched with a lot of needles to hold it together.  You want to quilt it the same way it was needle punched.  If you look very closely at such a batting you'll see the needle holes, but more importantly you'll notice some of the punches show by a protrusion of fibers on the down side.  You want to place the batting so that side is down.  You can kinda feel it, but close examination really shows it.  The rolls of Hobbs I use has the down side folded in I think.  Hope this helps.  Jim

I'm just taking a W&N bat out of the packaging.  Sure glad I hadn't unfolded it before I read this thread.  I'll take a close look at it and since there will be plenty left over, I'll mark a scrap with what is the "top" and what is the "bottom" of the batting.  : )  Thanks guys! 

Archived